X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Aussie football

On a recent trip from the UK to Oz I made sure I caught a game while I was over there.
    We made our way to Sydney and booked tickets for Aussie Stadium to watch Sydney take on Newcastle Jets.
    I found the quality of football similar to the English League One & Two and that is no disrespect as the aussie league is still very much in an embryonic stage.
    The main thing I noticed was that the players were not only a lot slower but lacked the fitness to go the full 90 minutes and the quality really diminished in the final 20 minutes.
    However I did enjoy the atmosphere created by the 15,000 crowd and the Aussie Stadium was really nice.
    I hope Benito Carbone's stint will help the profile of the game as will the potential arrival of Romario at Adelaide - old players admitedly but ones that should be able to do a job and raise crowds at this level.
    I will now be keeping an eye on the results in the A League - unfortunatly we don't seem to get coverage of the matches over here, but I might find some on a channel somewhere?
    I wish Sydney the best of luck and of course as an Englishman hope Terry Butcher can help the club retain the championship - although by the looks of it it's going to be hard to stop Melbourne.
    Just for the record I support a team in our League One - Gillingham. Not used to any success of any kind but they are my side and I love them. Season ticket holder for 15 years! I must be mad.

Who the fark is Sydney?

You made a mistake of not coming down to Melbourne, watching some real entertaining football, played in front of a 30+k crowds.

I think a lot of the A-league sides, would do a good job in the Championship

Comment

Absolute tosh the a league standard is english 2nd or third division at best.Look at muscat on of the stars of league,all he done in england is break a few players legs.

Comment

adelaide united and sydney fc must be good (and are) if they made it to the champions league, you beauty. and this week romario is playing for adelaide and will score his 1000th goal sometime this season. i think any one of our a league teams (except for NZ knights) could beat sheffield, fulham and other epl teams.

Comment

would be lucky to beat sunday pub teams!!!!!!!!!!!!!
          its not australia's no1 sport and never will be as the best go elsewhere to earn big dollars

Comment

and romario is only coming for the cash and crap defences

Comment

Originally posted by toe
              Absolute tosh the a league standard is english 2nd or third division at best.Look at muscat on of the stars of league,all he done in england is break a few players legs.
              I'd say Melb. Victory could be middle of the championship table at it's absolute best, 2nd division at worst. And don't be knocking our musky - they were some quality legs he broke!!!

One thing is for sure though - the A-League is about a 1000% improvement on the old NSL.

Comment

romario came for cash and stuff, thats true, but i reckon hes heaps gd and i want him to get his 1000th goal! hasnt done much yet though

Comment

Wow - for once in Beer(potbellied)pig's life, he is right. The brain cell rattled into place for a split second there.

The standard of the A(rsehole) league is shockingly poor. I think comparing to a Pub team is probably a little disrespectful but I think comparing to non league teams is about right.

NB: No surprise that the A league isn't on the telly here. Who the hell would watch that drivel.

Comment

Originally posted by EnglandFan View Post
                    Wow - for once in Beer(potbellied)pig's life, he is right. The brain cell rattled into place for a split second there.

The standard of the A(rsehole) league is shockingly poor. I think comparing to a Pub team is probably a little disrespectful but I think comparing to non league teams is about right.

NB: No surprise that the A league isn't on the telly here. Who the hell would watch that drivel.
                    Its not that poor. The game between Melbourne Victory and Sydney FC was
                    good quality last week despite no goals. I am a Villa fan and watch there games on Fox regularly. Villa last night against Bolton was not that far ahead of this game.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacques View Post
                      Its not that poor. The game between Melbourne Victory and Sydney FC was
                      good quality last week despite no goals. I am a Villa fan and watch there games on Fox regularly. Villa last night against Bolton was not that far ahead of this game.
                      Yep - and then you woke up

Comment

how many people here, or in australia knew who pierre littbarski was?

Comment

Re: New to Aussie football

Yeah i remember the rat faced Kraut. What is your point?

BTW...A-League is vastly superior to old NSL. I think Victory would be a mid table team in Coca Cola Championship.

Comment

Originally posted by wombat007 View Post
                            Yeah i remember the rat faced Kraut. What is your point?

my point was originally just an innocent question.

and yes rat faced "kraut" who played in 2 world cup finals and won another one.

that alone is better than the whole of england's history already.
                            Last edited by squidward123; 21-01-2007, 02:42 PM.

Comment

I have watched all Melbourne victory matches and i beleive that they do not deserve to be on top of the A league ladder and as for the crowd yeah many people have gone to the games which is good for the game but the atmosphere is not the best for the amount of people who attend. Just look at sydney they get half the crowd which Melbourne gets but the atmosphere is buzzing.

Comment

Working...
                              X