ARU board backs recruitment process - Sports News - Fanatics - the world's biggest events

ARU board backs recruitment process

By Steve Jancetic 04/06/2004 06:59:42 PM Comments (0)

The Board of the Australian Rugby Union (ARU) has unanimously endorsed the organisation's player recruitment process, in light of the controversy surrounding their failure to pursue rugby league star Andrew Johns.

The ARU board met in Sydney where high performance unit boss Brett Robinson was called on to explain the ARU's policy regarding player recruitment and contracts.

ARU Chairman Bob Tuckey said the board unanimously endorsed both the recruitment process and the work of the high performance unit.

"The process has been working well and has stood the test of time over eight years, Mr Tuckey said.

"We have no reason to believe otherwise, in spite of recent media speculation."

Robinson was forced to defend the ARU's decision not to go after Johns, after the high performance unit said the 30-year-old league star was a risky investment due to his age and recent run of injuries.

The decision angered the NSW Rugby Union, who saw Johns as the answer to their five-eighth woes, and the players union, who said the provinces needed greater bargaining power in trying to attract players.

Also at the board meeting, acting chief executive Matt Carroll announced he was leaving the ARU after a 15 year career as a professional rugby administrator.

Carroll had been considering his future after missing out on the chief executive position to Gary Flowers, who is set to take up his appointment on June 15.

Carroll said running the Rugby World Cup in 2003 was the highlight of his time in rugby.

Brought to you by AAP AAP © 2021 AAP

0 Comments about this article

Post a comment about this article

Please sign in to leave a comment.
Becoming a member is free and easy, sign up here.

« All sports news