Johnson's 100m, 200m appeals dismissed - Sports News - Fanatics - the world's biggest events

Johnson's 100m, 200m appeals dismissed

26/07/2004 11:01:59 PM Comments (0)

Australia's fastest man Patrick Johnson has failed in his last-ditch bid for an individual run at next month's Olympics.

Johnson, the only Australian to legally break the 10-second barrier in the 100m, will only run the 4x100m relay in Athens after his appeal against non-selection in the 100m and 200m was dismissed by the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) in Sydney.

"Of course Patrick will be disappointed, but we pursued all avenues and did what we could," Johnson's manager Clive Stephens said on Monday night.

The decision maintained Josh Ross's position as Australia's sole 100m representative.

As Ross had not bettered the A qualifying standard of 10.21 seconds, the selectors could only choose one sprinter.

It was the last appeal outstanding for the Olympic athletics team.

Johnson recorded 9.93 seconds in Japan last year but battled to regain full fitness since tearing his hamstring in Perth in January.

Since then Ross had stepped up as Australia's form sprinter.

Ross's legal team was always confident Johnson's appeal would be dismissed.

"It's been a tough time for him because he's in the lead-up to the Olympics and this is very distracting, but he can put this behind him now and move on," Ross's lawyer Tony O'Reilly said after Monday night's hearing.

Brought to you by AAP AAP © 2021 AAP

0 Comments about this article

Post a comment about this article

Please sign in to leave a comment.
Becoming a member is free and easy, sign up here.

« All sports news