Mundine fight postponed to Sept 3 - Sports News - Fanatics - the world's biggest events

Mundine fight postponed to Sept 3

By Adrian Warren 05/08/2003 06:01:56 AM Comments (0)

Anthony Mundine's super middleweight world title bout with American boxer Antwun Echols has been pushed back four weeks to September 3 after `The Man' was floored by a viral infection.

Mundine, 28, pulled out of Wednesday's clash for the vacant World Boxing Association title, scheduled for the Sydney Entertainment Centre, after being examined by Doctor Lou Lewis around 3pm on Monday.

The Mundine camp notified the World Boxing Association's Australian representative Derek Milham and asked him to formally request a month's postponement of the fight from WBA headquarters in Venezuela.

With Mundine expected to require a month to be fully prepared, members of the two teams met later to sort out an alternative plan.

A spokesman for the promoters said the fight had been rescheduled for September 3 in Sydney.

Milham confirmed the Mundine camp had approached him over a request for a month's postponement and said he didn't anticipate a problem.

"It's still the number one (Echols) and number two (Mundine) contenders there, so I can't see a problem," Milham said.

Industry insiders estimated the postponement could cost Team Mundine over $20,000 in expenses such as airfares for the Echols camp and fight officials.

Only one of the four foreign officials, a Korean judge, had not arrived in Sydney by the time of the postponement.

A potential complication could be Echols's scheduled court appearance on August 19 on a charge of unlawful possession of a firearm.

Brought to you by AAP AAP © 2021 AAP

0 Comments about this article

Post a comment about this article

Please sign in to leave a comment.
Becoming a member is free and easy, sign up here.

« All sports news