State funeral for Warren - Sports News - Fanatics - the world's biggest events

State funeral for Warren

08/11/2004 05:56:57 PM Comments (0)

NSW Premier Bob Carr announced on Monday that the late Socceroo great Johnny Warren would be provided with a state funeral.

It is the first time a sporting figure has been awarded a NSW state funeral, the Premier's office said.

"Johnny Warren was a great Australian," Carr said in a statement.

"He was Mr Football - the man with vision and passion for developing the `world game' in Australia."

Carr added that the state government's office of protocol and special events would meet with Warren's family to finalise arrangements for the funeral.

It is likely to take place early next week, but a location has not been confirmed.

Warren died aged 61 on Saturday after a long battle with lung cancer.

The news that Warren, a highly-respected player, coach and spokesman for soccer in his time, would receive a state funeral will be welcomed by the soccer community he represented.

John O'Neill, chief executive of the Australian Soccer Association, said earlier on Monday that it would be a "fitting tribute" to Warren.

State funerals are usually reserved for former premiers and Chief Justices but are also granted to "distinguished citizens".

Brought to you by AAP AAP © 2020 AAP

0 Comments about this article

Post a comment about this article

Please sign in to leave a comment.
Becoming a member is free and easy, sign up here.

« All sports news