Gillespie shocked at Test squad recall - Sports News - Fanatics - the world's biggest events

Gillespie shocked at Test squad recall

By Steve Larkin, Paul Mulvey and Laine Clark 05/04/2006 06:04:13 PM Comments (0)

The last of Australia's Ashes scapegoats has been forgiven, with a shocked Jason Gillespie recalled to national duties.

Gillespie, Queensland quick Mitchell Johnson and NSW batsman Phil Jaques have all been summoned for Australia's two-Test away series in Bangladesh starting Sunday.

They replace injured trio Michael Kasprowicz (back), Shaun Tait (back) and Justin Langer (concussion), all sent home after Australia's clean sweep Test tour of South Africa.

Gillespie, who turns 31 this month, feared his 69-Test career had ended when dumped during Australia's losing Ashes series in England last year.

The South Australian paceman, batsmen Damien Martyn and Michael Clarke, and Kasprowicz were all discarded after Australia's first Ashes defeat in 16 years.

But all four have since won recalls, with Gillespie returning to the fray when he least expected.

"I thought I was no hope," he said.

Gillespie also reckons he's no hope of adding to his Test tally against Bangladesh, believing rookie Johnson more likely to earn a first baggy green cap.

"Pretty remote, to be honest, but we will see, you never know," Gillespie said of his chances of gaining a Test spot.

"Who knows whether I will get a game over there, if I get a chance I will certainly try and take it."

Gillespie said the return to the international stage of Australia's Ashes discards should be a blueprint for others to follow.

"Guys have been performing back at domestic level and have been given another opportunity," he said.

"For any guy that has been dropped, that is something you can look towards - if you do perform again, the opportunities are there."

While Gillespie and Johnson battle for the third paceman position behind Brett Lee and Stuart Clark, the selection of Jaques brings a selection conundrum.

Retain Mike Hussey as opener and choose batsmen Clarke or Jaques for a middle order berth, or slip Hussey back down the order and use Jaques as a straight swap for opening bat Langer?

"I'm going over there expecting to play," said Jaques, whose one Test came when replacing an injured Langer last Boxing Day against the West Indies.

"If I don't get selected, that's unlucky, it's just a case of going over there and prepare to play.

"It seems to be similar circumstances with all my call-ups at the moment.

"It seems to be if there's an injury, there's a spot there and I'm the man, which is good the fact selectors keep thinking of me."

Johnson, 24, gets more Australian work experience after two modest one-day internationals, his selection clinched by a 10-wicket haul to help Queensland win the Pura Cup.

"Every time I travel with the guys (Australian team) I seem to be learning something and bringing it back home," Johnson said.

"Going away with the guys again, I know I will be learning a lot from the team and bringing it back home again, so I look forward to next season."

Brought to you by AAP AAP © 2021 AAP

0 Comments about this article

Post a comment about this article

Please sign in to leave a comment.
Becoming a member is free and easy, sign up here.

« All sports news