Slater suspended for seven NRL matches - Sports News - Fanatics - the world's biggest events

Slater suspended for seven NRL matches

05/04/2006 07:22:53 PM Comments (0)

Melbourne Storm fullback Billy Slater will miss the opening rugby league State of Origin game after receiving a seven match suspension for kicking Wests Tigers prop John Skandalis in the head.

Slater was unsuccessful in having his grade five kicking charge downgraded at the NRL judiciary.

He had been charged over the 47th minute incident which occurred during his side's loss to the defending premiers last Sunday.

The Storm Custodian will be out for seven matches, ruling him ineligible for Queensland selection for the Origin series opener on May 24 in Sydney.

Slater, who was hopeful of getting a downgrade to a grade three, said he was disappointed with the decision, but the Storm have indicated they will not appeal.

"It looks like it, doesn't it, that's up to (the selectors)," Slater said of his ambition to play in the Origin series.

"I'm obviously very disappointed, it's obviously a fair time on the sideline now.

"I'll cop that on the chin and I'll get back to playing football after that."

Brought to you by AAP AAP © 2020 AAP

0 Comments about this article

Post a comment about this article

Please sign in to leave a comment.
Becoming a member is free and easy, sign up here.

« All sports news