Qld wants Inglis update for Origin III - Sports News - Fanatics - the world's biggest events

Qld wants Inglis update for Origin III

By Wayne Heming 21/06/2006 03:57:33 PM Comments (0)

Queensland State of Origin selectors will request a detailed medical update on dynamic Storm teenager Greg Inglis before settling on their 17-man squad for the Melbourne series decider.

The Maroons are desperate for the 19 year-old, who scored two tries in his Origin debut, to be available, especially after losing second game rookie fullback Karmichael Hunt (broken foot) and centre Steve Bell (fractured cheekbone).

Inglis was ruled out of Origin II with stress fractures in his back.

Storm coach Craig Bellamy has already written off Inglis' Origin comeback saying it would be "two or three weeks" before he's back training.

But Queensland selectors will get their doctor, Roy Saunders, to contact the Storm's medical staff for a full update on the chances of Inglis playing in 14 days time.

The Queensland Rugby League clashed with the Storm before the second game after naming Inglis in it's 17-man squad and ruling him out a few hours later.

Melbourne refused to allow Inglis to travel to Brisbane to be assessed.

Queensland chairman of selectors Des Morris was non committal whether Inglis would be named on Monday to keep the door open in case his back injury improved dramatically.

"He's not playing this weekend which makes it tough," said Morris.

"We'll have our medical people check it all out with Melbourne's medical people closer to the weekend.

"We don't want to go getting everyone's hopes up too soon.

"Once we pick the side, and he's not in it, he's missed the boat.

"Obviously he is a rare talent and I suppose you make exceptions but if he's not picked..."

"They're probably not too worried about Queensland which is why we'll check everything out."

With injury concerns over the fitness of Cowboys fullback Matt Bowen, Penrith's Rhys Wesser is the man widely tipped to replace Hunt.

But Morris said Canberra's Clinton Schifcofske - the target of a Super 14 offer from the Queensland Reds - was not out of the picture and could play fullback or wing.

There were widespread calls earlier this year for St George Illawarra centre Mark Gasnier to be overlooked for Origin after he was linked with a massive offer from the Australian Rugby Union.

Even if Schifcofske switched codes this week, Morris said it would not prevent Queensland picking him for Origin.

"We're selectors, we're not into the politics," said Morris.

"If it was announced (he was switching) before we picked the squad, it wouldn't make any difference."

Game-shy Storm fullback Billy Slater is the wild card in the Queensland selector's pack.

Morris said either he or co-selector Gene Miles would travel to Brookvale Oval at the weekend to watch Slater play for North Sydney against Manly in the Premier League curtain raiser to the Brisbane-Manly NRL game.

"Nobody is out of the picture," said Morris.

With Bell and Willie Tonga (hamstring) both unlikely to be available, Brisbane utility Shaun Berrigan could find himself back in the centres for the Melbourne decider with Broncos teammate Justin Hodges.

Brought to you by AAP AAP © 2021 AAP

0 Comments about this article

Post a comment about this article

Please sign in to leave a comment.
Becoming a member is free and easy, sign up here.

« All sports news