Moimoi 'lucky with just seven weeks' - Sports News - Fanatics - the world's biggest events

Moimoi 'lucky with just seven weeks'

By Philip Henderson 31/07/2006 09:26:22 PM Comments (0)

Manly coach Des Hasler says Parramatta prop Fuifui Moimoi may consider himself lucky to be facing only a seven-week NRL ban for his high shot on Brent Kite.

Moimoi was charged with a grade three reckless high tackle by the NRL match review committee after being sent off in the Eels' 31-18 win against Manly on Saturday.

It is the third time in less than two years the Tongan-born wrecking ball has faced a high-tackle charge at the judiciary.

Last year he was banned for six games after pleading guilty to a grade five careless high tackle, before having his season cut short after contesting and losing a grade two charge resulting in a nine-match ban.

Those previous offences have significantly increased Moimoi's penalty this time, with an early guilty plea ruling the Eels' fan favourite out for seven games - and 10 if he contests and loses.

Seven games would mean Moimoi would only be available to play again in 2006 if the ninth-placed Eels - riding a six-game winning streak - made the preliminary final.

Hasler, though, believes Moimoi may feel a little fortunate to receive such a ban given his previous track record.

"I think the send off and seven weeks in line with his record ... maybe he's thinking 'maybe I'm lucky'," said Hasler.

"Maybe seven weeks is a lucky call. I don't know.

"If he got nine weeks for one and he's going to get off with seven weeks this time he could consider himself a bit lucky.

"It was a high shot, he didn't miss him and it's gone to the judiciary.

"There was not much left to doubt, the player was pretty well unconscious. Seven weeks ... I guess it's been dealt with."

Hasler said Kite still felt groggy, although with Manly enjoying the bye this weekend the NSW forward is not expected to miss any games.

Manly skipper Ben Kennedy has said he feared Kite may have broken his neck after the hit.

Moimoi is expected to plead guilty to the charge on Tuesday, with the suspension a massive blow to the Eels finals surge.

Parramatta's prop stocks have already copped a battering this season with Michael Vella (ankle), Justin Tsoulos (shoulder), Aaron Cannings (shoulder) and Paul Stringer (retired, neck) already out injured.

Teammate Dean Widders said the quietly-spoken Moimoi was gutted by his latest indiscretion.

"I think he's really upset about it all at the moment, and down in the dumps, because he was having his best patch of form, playing his best footy," said Widders.

"He's such a big and powerful bloke that if he does slip a little bit when he's making a tackle and connects then he's going to hurt them.

"And I think that's what happens. He tackles very hard, and hasn't got much margin for error, and when it goes wrong for him it goes wrong for him in a big way."

New Zealand prop Ruben Wiki was also charged with a grade three careless high tackle, but will miss just one game for his shot on Penrith's Joel Clinton with an early guilty plea.

Sydney Roosters back Amos Roberts is facing a two-match ban regardless of whether he pleads guilty or contests a grade-one dangerous throw charge stemming from the club's impressive 40-20 win over North Queensland on Sunday.

In other NRL news, St George Illawarra centre Mark Gasnier is racing to be fit for Friday's match against Parramatta after further injuring his calf in Sunday's loss to Melbourne.

And Canberra veteran Jason Croker hopes to settle his playing future this week, with the 313-game stalwart awaiting the details of a two-year offer from Super League outfit Les Catalans before deciding whether to finish his career with the Raiders next season or head overseas.

Brought to you by AAP AAP © 2020 AAP

0 Comments about this article

Post a comment about this article

Please sign in to leave a comment.
Becoming a member is free and easy, sign up here.

« All sports news