Broncos' Seymour faces headbutt claim - Sports News - Fanatics - the world's biggest events

Broncos' Seymour faces headbutt claim

01/08/2006 10:32:08 PM Comments (0)

Broncos halfback Brett Seymour is alleged to have headbutted a woman while trying to kiss her on a Brisbane hotel dance floor.

And a second "high profile" Broncos player is reportedly being investigated by police for allegedly assaulting a woman at a taxi rank outside a Brisbane nightclub last Friday night.

Seymour, 21, has been interviewed by Queensland Police after two women filed complaints regarding the alleged incident at the Regatta Hotel at Toowong in Brisbane's inner-west early on Monday morning.

If found guilty of assault, Seymour could face the same fate as former Cronulla Shark Tevita Latu, who had his NRL contract torn up after punching a 19-year-old woman in the face in May.

ABC TV on Tuesday night said another woman had contacted Brisbane detectives to make an official complaint about an alleged taxi rank assault last Friday night.

The ABC said the woman suffered minor injuries in the alleged incident.

A police spokesman has told AAP that detectives had conducted an investigation regarding a taxi rank incident last Friday night but could not confirm who had been involved.

The Broncos on Monday took the unusual step of asking police to investigate claims that Brisbane players were involved in an alleged assault at the Toowong hotel after a "third party" notified the Broncos.

Two women gave police statements alleging Seymour headbutted one of them while trying to kiss her on the hotel dance floor.

It is alleged the woman's friend then slapped Seymour.

However, Seymour's legal team claimed their client had only been slapped in the face by one of the women.

Broncos player Brent Tate also gave a statement at the Indooroopilly police station regarding the alleged incident.

"The club has today been advised that two complaints have been received by police in regard to an incident at the weekend allegedly involving Broncos player Brett Seymour," a Broncos spokesman said in a statement.

"Seymour has been interviewed by police this afternoon in respect of the matter and it is the Broncos advice that no charges have been laid against him.

"The Broncos advise that the club's internal investigation of the alleged incident is continuing."

Seymour was unavailable for comment, but his manager George Mimis said his client was "laying low".

The halfback is contracted until the end of 2007 but was told last week by coach Wayne Bennett that his services were no longer required by the club.

"He was told he would not be required for NRL duties this year or next year," Broncos chief executive Bruno Cullen told AAP.

Asked what that meant, Cullen said: "It means if he wants to play NRL next year, he better go and find another club."

Mimis would not comment on speculation Seymour had already been unsuccessfully shopped around to other NRL clubs.

"I can't confirm anything at this point. It's his private business," he said.

"We're not in the business of publishing people's private business affairs."

The Broncos are holding an internal investigation of the Toowong hotel allegations but Cullen said the NRL club had not yet found a witness to the alleged incident.

"We're finding it very difficult to find an eye witness," he said.

"We've interviewed everybody that we found was there and at this stage we won't be doing anything further until the police finish their investigation."

Some Brisbane players went to the Regatta Hotel after a team dinner at the Broncos Leagues Club following their 20-6 loss to Wests Tigers on Sunday - their fifth defeat in seven games.

Cullen was not available for comment on ABC TV's report of a second Broncos player being investigated.

Brought to you by AAP AAP © 2022 AAP

0 Comments about this article

Post a comment about this article

Please sign in to leave a comment.
Becoming a member is free and easy, sign up here.

« All sports news