Ireland's DPP examining Fevola case - Sports News - Fanatics - the world's biggest events

Ireland's DPP examining Fevola case

02/11/2006 06:05:38 AM Comments (0)

Ireland's Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) will decide whether to bring charges against Brendan Fevola after the AFL star's altercation with a barman during Australia's International Rules tour.

A police spokesman said an investigation into the incident at a Galway hotel on Sunday night had been completed.

"The matter has been investigated and a file has been given to the DPP," the spokesman said.

"He'll have to decide what happens."

Fevola was banished from the tour of Ireland after he allegedly assaulted the barman while drunk.

The barman, who wants to be known only as Paul, has accused Fevola of jumping him while carrying a bottle, punching him and having to be restrained by Australian team-mates.

Paul also claims Fevola was one of three Australian players who threatened junior bar staff and wants criminal charges laid against him.

The barman stressed the other two players were not involved in the physical altercation.

On Tuesday it emerged that Fevola had snapped after what he described as days of abuse from Irish fans, including racist slurs against the Australian team's indigenous players.

"When a few of the boys were at the casino playing poker, they (the Irish) were sledging the Aboriginal boys," Fevola told reporters in Ireland.

"Everywhere we've gone they've just hammered us."

Fevola believes the tension stems from last year's physical series, when Chris Johnson's violent on-field conduct during the second Test in Melbourne led to the Brisbane Lion being suspended for five international matches.

"I don't think the Irish people are liking us at the moment," Fevola said.

"Pretty much wherever we go they've been potting us.

"He (the barman) was calling us Aussie such-and-suches and he didn't want to serve us drinks anymore because we were Australian."

Fevola has denied hitting the barman but admits putting him in a headlock.

The incident was captured on closed circuit television.

Fevola has left Dublin and is now at an undisclosed location in Europe.

His wife, Alex, says he is likely to wait for the furore over the incident to pass before returning to Australia.

But Paul was incensed that Fevola had been allowed to leave Ireland.

"If it was anybody else that made that assault they would have to appear in court either on the Monday or the Wednesday and he's been allowed just to leave the country, which I don't understand," he told Melbourne radio station SEN on Wednesday

If Fevola is charged, it is likely he will have to return to Ireland for a court appearance.

Brought to you by AAP AAP © 2022 AAP

0 Comments about this article

Post a comment about this article

Please sign in to leave a comment.
Becoming a member is free and easy, sign up here.

« All sports news