Fevola apologies after Ireland incident - Sports News - Fanatics - the world's biggest events

Fevola apologies after Ireland incident

By Roger Vaughan 09/11/2006 11:18:00 PM Comments (0)

A remorseful Brendan Fevola has apologised soon after his return to Australia following his expulsion from the International Rules team.

Fevola and Carlton AFL club chief executive Michael Malouf made statements to the waiting media after his return on Thursday night, but took no questions.

The Coleman Medallist will return to training with the Blues on Friday morning.

Malouf announced the club would not punish Fevola for his scuffle with a barman in Galway during Australia's tour of Ireland.

But Malouf said the Blues would "assist" Fevola, without giving any details.

Fevola left Ireland soon after the incident and spent several days in mainland Europe, before returning to Galway earlier this week to receive an official caution from local police.

"I'd like to sincerely apologise for my actions in Ireland, obviously I broke the rules and especially I would like to apologise to the AFL," Fevola said.

"I'm over there representing the country, I disappointed the boys, the coaching staff and the supporters back here.

"I'd like to apologise to Carlton, they've been really good over the last couple of days, they've really supported me.

"I look forward to getting back to training tomorrow morning."

Fevola said it particularly hurt that he did not play for Australia during the International Rules series.

He was not picked for the first Test and the late-night incident happened soon after that game.

"Probably the biggest disappointment for me (is) I didn't get to represent my country, it's probably the one thing our players don't get to do too often," he said.

"I blew that opportunity, which is shattering for me.

"Also, all the kids out there who look up to me as a role model, I've disappointed them, so hopefully I can get back and play some good footy next year - win back some respect that I've lost over this little incident."

Fevola's manager Paul Connors was with him and quickly stepped in after the player's statement, as a large media contingent started asking questions.

Malouf then spoke on behalf of the club.

"Brendan has made a mistake, but nobody knowS that better than Brendan," he said.

"We're really pleased he's back in Melbourne and really pleased that he'll be starting back at the club tomorrow morning.

"The club has thought long and hard about how we'll deal with it, we won't be applying any further sanctions to Brendan - that's no fines and no suspensions.

"But what we'll be doing over the next few days is sitting down with Brendan and discussing how we can support him and assist him.

"That's all that the club and Brendan will be saying on this matter from now on."

Brought to you by AAP AAP © 2021 AAP

0 Comments about this article

Post a comment about this article

Please sign in to leave a comment.
Becoming a member is free and easy, sign up here.

« All sports news