Philippoussis through to second round - Sports News - Fanatics - the world's biggest events

Philippoussis through to second round

By Chris Lines 14/01/2003 06:01:17 AM Comments (0)

Mark Philippoussis overcame big-serving Dutchman Martin Verkerk in four sets to progress to the second round of the Australian Open in the early hours of this morning.

Philippoussis, on the comeback trail after the latest in a series of knee injuries, looked shaky at the tail end of sets but prevailed 6-4 6-4 6-7 6-3 in two hours and 45 minutes.

"I didn't know much about him, he has a huge serve and he served extremely well today," Philippoussis told Channel Seven after the match.

"It was a tough match, I had my chances, I had some break points.

"I'm happy I kept my concentration and played some solid tennis. "

Philippoussis converted just three of his 11 break points but Verkerk created only four for the match and could convert none.

The next task for the Melbournite was to take on in-form Paradorn Srichapan in Wednesday's second-round, with the Thai progressing with a win over Austrian Jurgen Melzer.

"He is playing some great tennis, winning in India and losing the semi-finals (in Sydney) last week, but I am looking forward to it."

Philippoussis's victory capped a wonderful first day for locals at the Open with seven of the nine in action winning.

Rachel McQuillan was the only to lose outright, with Alicia Molik forced to retire with a foot injury - a crushing blow for the South Australian who was tipped for a prominent showing at the Open after winning the Hobart title on the weekend.

In other late-night action, Wayne Arthurs shook off a calf injury to overwhelm Brazilian qualifier Marcos Daniel despite losing the first two sets, taking it 6-7 3-6 7-6 6-4 6-4 in three and a half hours.

Brought to you by AAP AAP © 2023 AAP

0 Comments about this article

Post a comment about this article

Please sign in to leave a comment.
Becoming a member is free and easy, sign up here.

« All sports news