ICC rejects World Cup switch plea - Sports News - Fanatics - the world's biggest events

ICC rejects World Cup switch plea

By Paul Mulvey 31/01/2003 05:46:34 AM Comments (0)

New Zealand's bid to have its World Cup match moved from Kenya failed today while Australia's game in Zimbabwe will also go ahead as scheduled, the International Cricket Council ruled.

The ICC did not have to make a decision on Zimbabwe as there was no request for any of the six games to be relocated by the 13 countries involved in the ICC board's two-hour teleconference.

New Zealand was out-voted 10-2 with one abstention in its bid to have its match against Kenya in Nairobi moved because of security concerns.

Australia's players arrived in South Africa with captain Ricky Ponting saying they were prepared to play Zimbabwe in Bulawayo on February 24.

Ponting said his men had every faith in the Australian Cricket Board to make the right decision.

ICC chief executive Malcolm Speed said while the England, Australian and Dutch cricket boards had expressed concern about playing in Zimbabwe because of tension over the corrupt regime of president Robert Mugabe, no country had asked for their match to be moved.

"No country sought to have their games relocated and accordingly no decision was required," Speed said at a press conference in London.

"While they expressed concern and there was a long discussion about it, no-one went to the stage of suggesting a formal motion."

The England and Wales Cricket Board had been expected to ask for England's February 13 match in Harare to be relocated after its players made an urgent request earlier this week for their game to be moved to South Africa.

But the ECB said a report from the ICC's security advisers Kroll made it clear it would not have won its bid.

Brought to you by AAP AAP © 2021 AAP

0 Comments about this article

Post a comment about this article

Please sign in to leave a comment.
Becoming a member is free and easy, sign up here.

« All sports news