Roar storms Mariners' fortress 3-2 - Sports News - Fanatics - the world's biggest events

Roar storms Mariners' fortress 3-2

By Damon Cronshaw 16/12/2006 09:24:27 PM Comments (0)

Queensland Roar kept its A-League semi-final hopes alive with a morale-boosting 3-2 victory over the Central Coast Mariners at Gosford.

Queensland's 19-year-old midfielder Dario Vidosic netted two goals to help clinch the three points.

The result left the Roar in sixth place on 22 points, one point behind the Mariners and Newcastle Jets, which equally hold fourth place.

It was the first time the Mariners had lost at home in 13 matches.

Mariners striker Adam Kwasnik opened the scoring with a penalty in the 29th minute, before Queensland defender Ben Griffin levelled eleven minutes later.

Vidosic put his side ahead with a header from a Matt McKay corner in the 63rd minute, but Kwasnik restored parity with a second penalty after 76 minutes.

Vidosic netted again in the 80th minute to secure victory.

Central Coast midfielder Mile Jedinak was sent off for a sickening two-footed challenge on Hyuk-Su Seo in the 70th minute.

The Mariners took the lead after a Jamie McMaster shot hit the arm of Roar defender Josh McCloughan in the penalty area.

Referee Matthew Breeze awarded the home side a penalty, which Kwasnik dispatched from the spot.

Damian Mori, who scored six goals in eight games for the Mariners on a short-term contract before joining the Roar, set up the equaliser.

The 36-year-old floated in a cross from the sideline, which an unmarked Griffin volleyed home from the far post.

It was the first goal the Mariners had conceded in five matches.

Mori hit the post early in the first half when the ball ricocheted off his chest from a Damien Brown defensive header.

The 36-year-old striker has failed to score in four games with the Roar, but went close on several occasions against the Central Coast.

Vidosic added a second with a glancing header from an unmarked position, but Kwasnik's second penalty of the match made it 2-2.

Referee Breeze pointed to the spot after ruling that Stuart McLaren fouled Wayne OSullivan, which McLaren hotly disputed.

Kwasnik struck home the penalty, but Breeze ruled a Mariners player had encroached into the penalty area.

The striker held his nerve to score his sixth goal of the season at the second attempt.

Vidosic's winner came from a McKay cross, after defender Alex Wilkinson had cleared the ball off the goal-line.

Brought to you by AAP AAP © 2022 AAP

0 Comments about this article

Post a comment about this article

Please sign in to leave a comment.
Becoming a member is free and easy, sign up here.

« All sports news