Bomber bonus as Lloyd cleared of striking - Sports News - Fanatics - the world's biggest events

Bomber bonus as Lloyd cleared of striking

By Chris Lines 15/04/2003 08:53:41 PM Comments (0)

Essendon's Matthew Lloyd has been cleared of striking by the AFL tribunal, which deemed his contact with a Carlton player not strong enough to be a strike.

In other cases, Carlton's Ian Prendergast and Essendon's Paul Barnard were both rubbed out for a week after pleading guilty to their charges - rough play against Dustin Fletcher and striking Simon Wiggins respectively.

West Coast's Daniel Chick and St Kilda's Max Hudghton were cleared of striking each other, with the tribunal's reasoning the same as in the Lloyd case - that the contact was not enough to be a strike.

"I'm ecstatic they made the right decision and I can't wait to play on Saturday night," Lloyd said after being cleared.

He had been reported on video evidence for striking Blues backman Bret Thornton - his third charge against Carlton in as many years.

Lloyd claimed he was merely trying to manoeuvre Thornton out of position in the incident by shoving him into adjacent Essendon teammate Damian Cupido.

He disputed the umpire's assertion that his hand was clenched, instead saying he had reached toward Thornton's midriff to grab his jumper.

It was remarkably similar evidence to that put forward successfully by Brisbane's Brad Scott after his round one report for striking Essendon's Damien Peverill.

"I didn't touch his midriff but when I did touch the jumper, at no point was (my hand) clenched, but open so I could grab it," Lloyd said.

"I was looking to block, I was not looking to strike anyone and I didn't touch him on the night."

Brought to you by AAP AAP © 2020 AAP

0 Comments about this article

Post a comment about this article

Please sign in to leave a comment.
Becoming a member is free and easy, sign up here.

« All sports news