Hewitt takes rest from Rome - Sports News - Fanatics - the world's biggest events

Hewitt takes rest from Rome

30/04/2003 05:47:48 AM Comments (0)

Lleyton Hewitt has pulled out of the Italia Masters in Rome next week in an attempt to pull off back-to-back French Open and Wimbledon wins.

Instead, he will make his clay-court debut at the German Open in Hamburg on May 12 before playing for Australia with Wayne Arthurs in the World Team Cup in Dusseldorf the following week.

Hewitt's agent Tom Ross said the 22-year-old had been told by doctors to rest.

"We have changed the schedule a couple of times because Lleyton's goals are Davis Cup - because he really believes that with their draw and Mark Philippoussis's return to the team, Australia stands a real chance of winning it back - and he wants to win a grand slam for the third year in a row," Ross told British newspaper The Times.

"Believe me, he is not conceding the French Open to anyone and he wants to retain his Wimbledon title."

Ross said Hewitt had already successfully defended his first Masters Series title in Indian Wells this year.

"But playing Scottsdale the week before - singles and doubles - and Key Biscayne straight after Indian Wells, took its toll," he said.

"He then had to travel to Sweden to play Davis Cup. When he got back home, his doctors told him he needed a real rest.

"There is still residue left from the fact he was stretched to the limit at the end of last year, winning the Masters Cup in Shanghai and retaining his No.1 ranking."

Hewitt's 75-week reign as world No.1 ended on Monday when Andre Agassi won the US clay court title in Houston.

Brought to you by AAP AAP © 2020 AAP

0 Comments about this article

Post a comment about this article

Please sign in to leave a comment.
Becoming a member is free and easy, sign up here.

« All sports news