NRL dismisses player betting rumours - Sports News - Fanatics - the world's biggest events

NRL dismisses player betting rumours

By Darren Walton 22/05/2003 06:16:15 PM Comments (0)

A National Rugby League investigation found no evidence to support rumours of illegal betting on a round seven match between Manly and South Sydney.

Under league rules, players are forbidden from betting on matches - in any form - even on matches in which they are not involved.

South Sydney chief executive David Tapp said he had spoken to one player from the club who vehemently denied betting on the match, while Manly media officer Peter Peters described the rumours as "scurrilous" and "without any foundation".

NRL chief executive David Gallop said the league was satisfied there had been no evidence presented to support the rumours of players betting on the Brookvale Oval match on April 27.

"We've spoken to clubs, players, the government and the betting agencies," Gallop said.

TAB public affairs spokesman Peter Fletcher said his organisation was happy to help with the investigation and told 2KY radio that the inquiries centred on the "first points scorer".

Manly five-eighth Ben Walker opened the scoring with a penalty goal in the third minute.

"There doesn't appear to be anything unusual about the betting patterns from that game," Fletcher said.

Punters have a multitude of options when it comes to betting on rugby league matches, including first and last tryscorers, the manner in which the first points of the match are scored, as well as halftime/fulltime doubles and head-to-head and handicap betting.

Centrebet said betting on first scorers often attracted total bets of anything between $300 and $1000, but in this game only $40 was wagered.

Brought to you by AAP AAP © 2020 AAP

0 Comments about this article

Post a comment about this article

Please sign in to leave a comment.
Becoming a member is free and easy, sign up here.

« All sports news