Mat Rogers hit with four-match NRL ban - Sports News - Fanatics - the world's biggest events

Mat Rogers hit with four-match NRL ban

16/04/2008 08:57:32 PM Comments (0)

A bitterly disappointed Mat Rogers won't turn out for Gold Coast again until round 11 after his bid to have a dangerous throw charge downgraded was unsuccessful at the NRL judiciary.

Rogers flew to Sydney in an attempt to have his ban reduced to just one match, but he will instead spend the next four games on the sidelines for his lifting tackle on Parramatta's Luke Burt on Friday night.

The former dual international refused to talk after the verdict was handed down, his loss sure to test the Titans' depth with prop Luke Bailey already sidelined with a broken arm.

Rogers had been charged with a grade two dangerous throw, which, with loading and carry-over points, could have resulted in a three-match ban with an early guilty plea.

Instead he fought to have it reduced to a one-game suspension, his defence counsel Geoff Bellew SC using comparable footage which he believed showed that the tackle was worthy of only a grade one charge.

Rogers claimed during the hearing that he had Burt's interests at heart once he sensed the tackle going wrong.

"I feel I did my best to protect him," Rogers said of his decision to hold onto Burt rather than let him go once the Eels fullback had gone past the horizontal.

Bellew said afterwards that the ban was not worthy of the crime, with Rogers paying the price for past indiscretions.

"Does the tackle deserve four matches - one view, probably not," Bellew said.

"That's where these other factors come into play; loading, carry-over points, early plea, that's where they really impinge on the end result.

"At the end of this process he's got four matches."

Asked how the Titans would deal with Rogers' absence, Titans coach John Cartwright said:

"I haven't even thought about that yet, just disappointed."

Rogers' place in the No.6 jumper will be taken by Ashley Harrison for Friday night's derby against Brisbane at Skilled Park.

It was a disappointing night at the judiciary for Canberra's Trevor Thurling as well after he was banned for two games for a lifting tackle on Wests Tigers hooker Stuart Flanagan on Sunday.

Thurling pleaded not guilty to the grade one charge for his role in the same tackle for which Raiders teammate Ben Jones accepted the early guilty plea.

While Jones will play, loading and 93 carry-over points mean Thurling will miss two matches, and will not return until Canberra's round nine away game against the Sydney Roosters.

Brought to you by AAP AAP © 2022 AAP

0 Comments about this article

Post a comment about this article

Please sign in to leave a comment.
Becoming a member is free and easy, sign up here.

« All sports news