No more Mr Nice Guy from snubbed Prince - Sports News - Fanatics - the world's biggest events

No more Mr Nice Guy from snubbed Prince

By Laine Clark 04/06/2008 07:34:29 PM Comments (0)

Snubbed Gold Coast playmaker Scott Prince looks set to take his Origin frustrations out on an undermanned Melbourne after claiming the Titans must put the depleted Storm "to the sword".

The hype over Prince's Maroons claims again fell on deaf ears after the Titans co-captain was overlooked for Queensland's must-win Origin II clash on June 11.

He has been his usual professional self at Titans training since being given the Origin cold shoulder.

But it may be a case of "no more Mr Nice Guy" at Skilled Park on Monday night.

Prince is looking for a big game, saying the Titans can stamp themselves as an NRL threat by thrashing a Storm outfit missing nine representative stars.

"This is a game where we can really start to gain some respect in the competition and if we see ourselves as a top eight side we have to put them to the sword," Prince told Titans TV.

"Although I am disappointed not to be selected in the State of Origin team I am really looking forward to not only the challenge of facing (Storm No.7) Cooper (Cronk) but also getting the Titans back into the winners' circle."

Titans coach John Cartwright said he was not concerned about Prince's mindset after yet another Origin slight.

"It's not us who keeps talking about it, but Princey has handled it with class as he always does," he told AAP.

"The thoughts of the club don't change - we believe we have the best halfback in the game.

"He's just got to bide his time and be patient."

But Cartwright said it would be "personal" when Prince lined up against Melbourne.

"He doesn't need any extra motivation. He takes our results at the Titans personal - he is more worried about how we went last week as a side rather than going out and proving anyone wrong," he said.

Prince's Titans teammate Luke Bailey also missed out on Origin selection after NSW opted for Newcastle's Steve Simpson as the replacement for fellow Knight Ben Cross (broken thumb).

In contrast to the shock felt through the tourist strip over Prince's omission, Cartwright wasn't surprised by Bailey's omission.

"Not really. He hasn't had a lot of game time under his belt and in the last three weeks we haven't been going that well," he said of Bailey, who is three games into a comeback from a broken arm.

"But Bails wouldn't let anyone down, especially in Origin."

The fifth-placed Titans return to Skilled Park where they are undefeated after losing consecutive games for the first time this season and three of their last four.

Cartwright wasn't taking anything for granted despite returning to their Robina fortress.

"If we play like we have in the past weeks we are not going to win anywhere we play," he said.

"We don't have any right to be complacent."

Meanwhile, dual international Mat Rogers will be given until the last minute to overcome a rib complaint.

"But we wouldn't have picked him if we didn't think he was a realistic chance of playing," Cartwright said.

Brought to you by AAP AAP © 2020 AAP

0 Comments about this article

Post a comment about this article

Please sign in to leave a comment.
Becoming a member is free and easy, sign up here.

« All sports news