Hawks win classic but Franklin reported - Sports News - Fanatics - the world's biggest events

Hawks win classic but Franklin reported

By Daniel Brettig 14/06/2008 10:24:43 PM Comments (0)

Hawthorn found that extra special something that has put them on top of the AFL ladder to beat a valiant Adelaide by four points in a classic thriller at AAMI Stadium on Saturday night.

The Crows kicked the game's first two goals and led narrowly at every change but succumbed to the Hawks' greater composure in the final minutes, with the visitors winning 11.10 (76) to 10.12 (72).

It was Hawthorn's first win against the Crows in Adelaide since 1994.

Hawks ace Lance Franklin was reported nine minutes into the second term for a head high front on bump to Crow Michael Doughty, adding further intrigue to a night of high-quality football.

Despite kicking only one goal opposed to in-form Adelaide backman Nathan Bock, Franklin had an influence by playing up the ground in the last.

His forward offsider Jarryd Roughead (three goals) played a fine game opposed to Ben Rutten, while the midfield expertise of Luke Hodge and Sam Mitchell was vital at the death.

Jason Porplyzia (three goals), Scott Thompson and Graham Johncock were all fine performers for Adelaide, who strengthened their standing as top-four contenders by pushing the Hawks to the end.

The Hawks were also set back by the loss of Chance Bateman to an apparent hamstring strain late in the second, after he entered the match under the cloud of a corked thigh.

Adelaide lost Nathan Bassett early to a suspected neck/shoulder injury, and could have done with his experience late in the match.

Both sides had lost players prior to the first bounce, with Hawk Trent Croad failing to shake off a hip complaint and replaced by Thomas Murphy while Crows prime mover Brent Reilly (hamstring) gave way to allow childhood Hawthorn supporter Andy Otten to debut for Adelaide.

The Crows managed to get the jump on the contest, notching five scoring shots for 2.3 inside the first five minutes.

At that point Hawthorn had barely touched the ball, but they were to ease back through the remainder of the term and only one point separated the sides at the break.

A pair of early majors to Tyson Edwards and Richard Douglas extended it briefly but Mark Williams cut that back with a true finish before the game was given another talking point by Franklin's report.

Williams second, this time from a tight angle gave Hawthorn a momentary lead, only for Porplyzia to convert to regain the advantage for the home side.

Franklin roamed up the ground in a largely fruitless search for kicks in the third.

The Crows soaked up minutes and possession in the back half for long stretches, and as the quarter entered time on it appeared to work, Porplyzia nailing two goals in a minute when a Campbell Brown turnover was quickly followed by Edwards' centre clearance.

Hawthorn's response was to barrel through the next two goals through the perservering Roughead, and the game remained desperately tight as it entered its final term.

Neither side could lay the pivotal punch early in the last, a goal for goal start leaving only two points between the teams entering time-on.

Hawthorn eventually broke the sequence through Hodge, who kept his head to kick truly and put the Hawks in front when it mattered most.

Brought to you by AAP AAP © 2021 AAP

0 Comments about this article

Post a comment about this article

Please sign in to leave a comment.
Becoming a member is free and easy, sign up here.

« All sports news