No call for Hall despite Swans' defeat - Sports News - Fanatics - the world's biggest events

No call for Hall despite Swans' defeat

By Guy Hand 13/07/2008 06:46:16 PM Comments (0)

Sydney coach Paul Roos has ruled out a return for banned Barry Hall next weekend despite the Swans hitting the AFL top four skids at the MCG.

Hall was missing from the Swans' 31-point loss to Hawthorn on Sunday - his fate now in the hands of a psychologist after the club banned him indefinitely last week for notching up another suspension because of violent on-field conduct.

But any chance of the big forward's anger management being fast-tracked to allow him to play for the Swans against Carlton next Sunday was dashed by his coach.

"I wouldn't have thought so," Roos said when asked whether Hall might return against Carlton to bolster Sydney's attempts to shore up a top four spot.

"I haven't really thought too much about it.

"Barry was away for the weekend and we'll catch up with him early next week.

"We love Barry. He's a terrific guy, but he's done the wrong thing. We need to get him in the right shape."

Roos said any all-clear from club psychologist Grant Brecht for Hall would then be followed by "a collective decision" when to allow the 30-year-old to resume playing.

Hall was unlikely to have made a serious difference as the Swans were outclassed by the Hawks in their 15.16 (106) to 10.15 (75) defeat at the MCG.

The win has widened the gap between the third-placed Hawks and fourth-placed Swans.

And fifth-placed Collingwood are now just two points behind Sydney, making a win against the Blues at Telstra Dome next Sunday crucial to the Swans' grip on a top four place.

"Next week's really critical for us to regroup and get back to playing some good footy," Roos said.

Brought to you by AAP AAP © 2020 AAP

0 Comments about this article

Post a comment about this article

Please sign in to leave a comment.
Becoming a member is free and easy, sign up here.

« All sports news