Barry Hall expected to play on weekend - Sports News - Fanatics - the world's biggest events

Barry Hall expected to play on weekend

23/07/2008 09:51:58 PM Comments (0)

Sydney Swans AFL forward Barry Hall is likely to resume playing against Adelaide at the SCG on Saturday after meeting with coach Paul Roos and club psychologist Grant Brecht.

The champion centre half forward was suspended for the second time this season following the round 14 fixture with Collingwood and was also stood down by the club following the incident when he attempted to strike Collingwood defender Shane Wakelin in the match at ANZ Stadium.

Earlier in the season, the fiery 31-year-old forward was suspended for seven games for a punch on West Coast defender Brent Staker.

Hall's selection for this week will be conditional on him getting the all clear from Brecht later this week.

"Hally has been working now for about two and a half weeks and will see Grant on Friday," Roos said.

"But talking to Grant today he's confident after speaking with Barry again today of being able to tick him off on Friday and that he will be right to play.

"I've seen a change in Barry myself and I'm confident that he's right to play."

Hall has addressed well publicised personal and professional issues in a bid to come to terms with the behaviour which has caused him to miss matches this season.

"There are a couple of key points and we've been working on those over the last three weeks, once again some personal, some on-field," Hall said.

"My personal life is that and it's my business and no one else's.

"The on-field, in terms of the pressure and expectation I put on myself is too high and I've got to be more of a team man and draw other players into the game, rather than beating my man to help the team."

Both Roos and Hall were aware of the consequences of another undisciplined act by the Swans spearhead.

"The important thing for me now going forward is if it happens again they (the repercussions) are not big, they are huge," Hall said.

"I'm aware of that and I wouldn't run out there and risk that if I wasn't right mentally.

"I'm thinking about the team rather than myself and I'm in a good head space for that now."

Roos said the consequences of another illegal act by Hall were "quite significant" for the Swans, but "obviously more significant in terms of his career."

Roos said he would be disappointed if people thought Hall was being recalled to the side because fellow forward Michael O'Loughlin would be unavailable this week after suffering an ankle injury against Carlton last weekend.

"Anyone that knows me and knows the footy club and knows the way we have handled it, I think we have been as honest and open as we possibly can," Roos said.

"I think I alluded last week that we'd hoped it would be sooner rather than later, so really it has nothing to do with Mick not playing whatsoever."

Roos said he spoke to Hall today to make sure the forward was ready to go as one of the main reasons he hadn't been playing was because he felt the prolific goalkicking forward hadn't been ready.

Hall was looking forward to the prospect of returning this weekend.

"I'm certainly excited, I'm not a real good spectator," Hall said.

"What I put the club through, I just want to try and play some good footy now and try and put that behind us somehow and Saturday night it is probably the first stepping stone towards that."

Brought to you by AAP AAP © 2020 AAP

0 Comments about this article

Post a comment about this article

Please sign in to leave a comment.
Becoming a member is free and easy, sign up here.

« All sports news