Carney 'evicted' from Goulburn club - Sports News - Fanatics - the world's biggest events

Carney 'evicted' from Goulburn club

04/08/2008 09:26:46 PM Comments (0)

Trouble continues to dog Canberra wild child Todd Carney following reports the suspended Raiders halfback was part of a group of patrons evicted from a Goulburn club at the weekend.

The alleged incident comes just three days out from his scheduled meeting with the Raiders board - where he is set to plead for his re-instatement to the playing roster following his suspension for an alcohol-fueled incident last month.

A WIN News report in Canberra alleged Carney was seen drinking alcohol at a Goulburn pub on Saturday night before he and a group of friends went to the Goulburn Worker's Club just after midnight.

Carney's group allegedly became involved in a verbal altercation with other patrons before security guards asked one of the group - not Carney - to leave.

When the man refused to leave, the whole group, including Carney, was expelled.

Raiders chief executive Don Furner was unavailable for comment when contacted by AAP on Monday night.

Carney was suspended following a wild night out at a Canberra bar last month, the continuation of that suspension for the rest of the season one of five points outlined in an ultimatum to the 22-year old last week.

Another clause indicated Carney would have to go on an alcohol ban until the expiration of his contract in 2012.

Canberra claimed failure to adhere to the ultimatum would result in his contract being torn up, a stance beefed up by the heavy hand of the NRL which stated it would not register a contract involving Carney and another club for next season.

Earlier Carney's manager David Riolo said his client just wanted the opportunity tell his side of the story, and denied claims Carney's desire to play again in 2008 did not mean he would not accept the ultimatum.

Riolo also refuted claims his planned holiday over the next two days had caused the entire process to be dragged out.

"We could have met with them today, I've been in Canberra all day today, no-one told me there was going to be a meeting today, I don't know where that came from," Riolo said.

"I sent an email (on Friday) to which I didn't receive a reply to until 1:30 today so how was I supposed to have a meeting today.

"(Todd's) happy that it can all get out there and we'll all meet on Thursday.

"He's never said he's not going to accept their terms, he just wanted a meeting to clarify what happened."

Asked if the NRL's threat to de-register Carney if he failed to accept the ultimatum had altered the star halfback's stance, Riolo said:

"Not at all because Todd's said from the start that he wants to stay at the Raiders."

Meanwhile the NRL's pursuit of Sonny Bill Williams will return to the courts on Tuesday.

NRL lawyer Tony O'Reily will join Bulldogs counterpart Arthur Moses in applying for a substitute of service after the subpoena issued to Williams by the NSW Supreme Court was unable to be delivered to the renegade Bulldogs star.

Williams has yet to surface since going into hiding after running into visa troubles in London last week.

The substitute of service would allow the Bulldogs to issue the subpoena for Williams to someone connected to the Kiwi Test star.

His associate Khoder Nasser arrived in Toulon today but denied he was there to help facilitate Williams' signing with the French rugby club, instead claiming he was there on boxing business.

Toulon club president Mourad Boudjellal said Williams was due in France within the next day or two, even claiming there was a chance he could make his debut in a friendly on Friday.

"If everything goes well, he will have his medical on Tuesday and could make his debut in a friendly match on Friday (against Carqueirannes-Hyeres)," Boudjellal told AFP.

Brought to you by AAP AAP © 2020 AAP

0 Comments about this article

Post a comment about this article

Please sign in to leave a comment.
Becoming a member is free and easy, sign up here.

« All sports news