Kangaroos wary of wild weather - Sports News - Fanatics - the world's biggest events

Kangaroos wary of wild weather

By Steve Jancetic 21/11/2008 09:04:25 PM Comments (0)

Having denied the Kangaroos one last training run at Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane's big wet now threatens to rob the Australians of their anticipated World Cup final triumph.

The Kangaroos were forced to move their final training run on Friday morning to nearby Langlands Park - home of the Easts Tigers Queensland Cup side - after Suncorp Stadium officials closed down the ground following massive storms throughout the week.

Brisbane is bracing itself for another torrid evening on Saturday night, with the weather bureau forecasting winds of at least 90km/h and possible hail for the 8:00pm (AEST) kick-off.

Kangaroos assistant coach John Cartwright admitted the anticipated storm could bring the Australian side back to the field.

"If we get storms like we did last night, it's a big evener," Cartwright said.

"The side who handles the conditions the best generally wins the games in those situations, it's not generally the best side on paper or who prepares best, but who handles the conditions on the night."

While the predicted storms had the Australians on alert, New Zealand coach Stephen Kearney said he hadn't given too much thought to how the expected wind and rain would affect the play.

There is little doubt that a wild night would play into the Kiwis hands, with Australia's thrilling outside backs curtailed and their suddenly bare front row brigade put under the pump even further following the loss of Steve Price on Friday with a calf injury.

But Kearney denied the rain would change his game plan.

"If that is the case that the weather is bad then we've just got to make sure we do what we set out to do and make sure we do it well," he said.

"Nothing changes from our perspective ... I don't think it becomes a lottery.

"We don't really care what the weather tosses up for us on the weekend - we know who we're playing against and what we're up against."

Queensland government officials said they would wait until Saturday night before making any decision as to the possibility of abandoning the match, with much of the south-east of the state still reeling from weekend storm damage.

"Until we see the size and nature of any storm activity tomorrow, people should assume the event is going ahead, but we won't be putting public safety at risk," Queensland Premier Anna Bligh said.

"If the storms are very severe then we will have to reassess that."

Brought to you by AAP AAP © 2022 AAP

0 Comments about this article

Post a comment about this article

Please sign in to leave a comment.
Becoming a member is free and easy, sign up here.

« All sports news