Sharks circling as Gallen charged - Sports News - Fanatics - the world's biggest events

Sharks circling as Gallen charged

By Steve Jancetic 27/04/2009 07:45:09 PM Comments (0)

Cronulla will await the outcome of Paul Gallen's high tackle case before contemplating fining the Sharks skipper after he was handed his 12th charge in the last seven seasons by the NRL match review committee on Monday.

In his first match back from a two-game ban for striking, Gallen was charged with a grade one careless high tackle for his hit on South Sydney utility Craig Wing on Friday night.

Weekend newspaper reports claimed Sharks chief executive Tony Zappia was considering slapping a fine on Gallen following his latest indiscretion, though a decision on that has been delayed until the case had been finalised.

"He's got to get suspended first - it's not a relevant question yet," a Sharks spokesperson said.

"They're going to try and get all the camera angles and see whether it's worth fighting first."

Gallen's rap sheet makes for poor reading with the NSW and Australian lock suspended on eight occasions for a total of 18 weeks.

Gallen was one of seven players charged by the match review committee, with NSW Origin hopeful Michael Ennis doing his chances of securing a first Blues jumper no favours after he was charged with making a chicken wing tackle on Canberra fullback Josh Dugan.

Ennis denied he was trying to do anything untoward in wrapping up the Raiders custodian, the charge threatening to rule him out of Sunday's anticipated showdown with Wests Tigers No.9 Robbie Farah.

Ennis and Farah are the leading contenders to replace retired Blues skipper Danny Buderus for the State of Origin opener on June 3.

"(It was a) normal tackle, trying to get a bloke in the dominant position," Ennis said before news of the charge broke.

"You hear all these calls from the referees these days - surrender, dominant.

"I was trying to get a dominant tackle and I didn't see a great deal in it."

Luke O'Donnell was another to put his NSW jumper in jeopardy with the North Queensland lock charged with contrary conduct after instigating a fight in Saturday night's win over Manly.

O'Donnell, who played his last Origin match in 2006, will miss two games whether he takes the early plea or is found guilty by the judiciary panel.

Parramatta workhorse Nathan Hindmarsh will miss one game if he pleads guilty to a dangerous contact charge for his knees to the head of Brisbane skipper Darren Lockyer.

Hindmarsh could be outed for two games if he fights the charge and losses at the NRL judiciary on Wednesday night.

Canberra backrower Tom Leahroyd-Lahrs is facing one week after being charged with striking.

St George Illawarra youngster Matt Prior and Newcastle five-eighth Ben Rogers can both escape suspension with early pleas after being charged with grapple tackles.

Brought to you by AAP AAP © 2020 AAP

0 Comments about this article

Post a comment about this article

Please sign in to leave a comment.
Becoming a member is free and easy, sign up here.

« All sports news