Prince 'no threat' to Cowboys skipper - Sports News - Fanatics - the world's biggest events

Prince 'no threat' to Cowboys skipper

By Laine Clark 29/04/2009 05:21:29 PM Comments (0)

Gold Coast co-captain Scott Prince won't dislodge Cowboys skipper Johnathan Thurston as Queensland halfback any time soon, Titans coach John Cartwright admits.

But Prince is still hopeful of receiving at least a bench nod from the Maroons selectors when the team for the Origin opener is announced on May 26.

Prince has stoked plenty of debate over the Queensland No.7 jersey after an inspired NRL season start.

The Gold Coast halfback was rewarded with a spot alongside Thurston in a 25-strong Maroons preliminary squad unveiled this week.

But Cartwright conceded it may take a rare series loss to NSW for Queensland selectors to overlook Thurston and opt for Prince as Maroons halfback.

Queensland are vying for an unprecedented fourth straight series victory in 2009 under coach Mal Meninga.

"I'd like to see him at halfback," Cartwright said of Prince's Queensland selection prospects.

"(But) Queensland are very fortunate to have two great halfbacks.

"Johnathan Thurston got the nod three years ago and they have won three series - and they (Queensland selectors) don't change.

"We talk about this every year and it's the same thing every year.

"Until Queensland lose a series or lose some games they are not going to make a change."

Prince clearly did not want to limit his Origin chances, saying he wanted to be considered for a utility role for Queensland if Thurston was at halfback.

"Very much so. It would be stupid to knock back a rep jersey - each to his own," Prince said on Wednesday.

"But personally I would play anywhere.

"They named the prelim squad and I am very honoured to be there.

"It would be very nice to be putting on the jersey in a few weeks time."

But Prince was kicking himself after missing a golden chance to ram home his point to Queensland selectors.

Prince said he was "pretty disappointed" with his hand in the Titans' 34-20 loss at Penrith on Monday night.

He did not have to be told a strong performance against South Sydney at Skilled Park on Saturday would help his selection chances for not only the Queensland but also the Australian team.

National selectors will unveil the team for the May 8 Anzac Test at Brisbane on Sunday.

"I am going to go out there and improve my game from last week, I was pretty disappointed with the way I played (against Penrith)," Prince said.

"This is a great opportunity against a pretty confident Souths team."

Prince is nearing the peak of his powers after overcoming obstacles that would have forced lesser mortals to give the game away.

He never lost faith despite a nightmare run that included the death of his father in a road accident and two horrific leg injuries.

Asked on Wednesday if he would be "gutted" to miss representative selection, Prince said: "It's disappointing but I have faced things in my life worse than that."

Brought to you by AAP AAP © 2020 AAP

0 Comments about this article

Post a comment about this article

Please sign in to leave a comment.
Becoming a member is free and easy, sign up here.

« All sports news