Titans trio leaving swine flu quarantine - Sports News - Fanatics - the world's biggest events

Titans trio leaving swine flu quarantine

10/06/2009 01:23:14 PM Comments (0)

Gold Coast trio Luke Bailey, Anthony Laffranchi and Ashley Harrison are due to be released from swine flu quarantine on Thursday, just in time to head south for their NRL clash against Sydney.

The Titans have confirmed the trio, currently holed up at their respective homes on the Gold Coast, are expected to re-join the Titans' squad when the teams meet for the round 14 match on Saturday.

Meanwhile, Canberra five-eighth Terry Campese has been cleared of swine flu and will play in Sunday's NRL match against Cronulla.

The NSW State of Origin player said he was relieved to have been given the all-clear.

"I've been cleared by the doctor as a swine flu risk and I have shown no symptoms so I'm good to go," Campese said.

"I'm really looking forward to getting back on the park this weekend to take on the Sharks and the boys are fired up after our last two wins."

Campese will come into the Raiders team at the expense of Josh McCrone in the only change to the squad which defeated South Sydney in round 12.

The three Titans have been in home isolation since Monday waiting out a week-long quarantine after State of Origin player Ben Hannant tested positive to swine flu the day before.

Titans media manager Adam Gardini said the club was satisfied they had dealt with the scare appropriately.

"It's just mass hysteria - (the three players are) all fine, they're sitting at home, twiddling their thumbs, basically," he told AAP.

"Unless something drastic happens in the next 24 hours, they'll be free to resume their normal duties."

The good news comes as Brisbane conceded their entire team could be forced into lockdown if tests prove fullback Karmichael Hunt is carrying the H1N1 virus.

It could mean postponing their top-of-the-table clash against the Bulldogs.

Gardini said the Titans, who fly to Sydney on Friday morning, were lucky not to have been as heavily impacted, with the quarantine only a precautionary measure.

Unlike the Broncos, Maroons forward Harrison and Blues pair Bailey and Laffranchi will not be tested for swine flu - a move approved by the club's medical team.

"We've been continuing to monitor the three players in quarantine and they've showed no signs or symptoms of the illness," Gardini said.

"It's obviously in the best interest of the team, and you wouldn't do anything to put that in jeopardy."

The club has distanced itself from criticisms of how the swine flu outbreak has been handled, including farcical scenes at the Titans' Monday night match against the Dragons.

Although Bailey, Harrison and Laffranchi had all come in contact with Hannant in the first State of Origin clash, only Harrison, as a member of the Maroons squad, was barred from playing.

Queensland teammate and Dragons star Darius Boyd fronted up to the Skilled Park before being told to leave.

Meanwhile, Hannant - the only NRL player to have so far contracted the virus - has been given the all-clear after his week of solitary confinement and will meet his squad in Brisbane on Thursday.

Brought to you by AAP AAP © 2020 AAP

0 Comments about this article

Post a comment about this article

Please sign in to leave a comment.
Becoming a member is free and easy, sign up here.

« All sports news