Barrett will be considered for Roos tour - Sports News - Fanatics - the world's biggest events

Barrett will be considered for Roos tour

By Steve Jancetic 28/07/2009 06:58:17 PM Comments (0)

His selection chances may be slim, but ARL chief executive Geoff Carr is adamant injured Cronulla skipper Trent Barrett will be available for Australia's end of season tour of England and France.

Sharks coach Ricky Stuart on Monday claimed he would not allow Barrett to play in the Quad Nations tournament despite the fact the NSW Origin pivot would be expected to have overcome the double facial fracture which has brought his NRL season to a premature end.

But Carr said Stuart was in no position to bar Barrett from selection, saying selectors would be instructed to consider him for the 22-man squad's five-week tour.

"I've spoken to Ricky, he's coached Australia, he knows the rules," Carr said.

"He's doing a great job with a very young team and Rick lost another experienced player that's important to him and I think it was a comment made out of frustration more than anything else.

"Me and Ricky have spoken and sorted it out, there's no issues from where I am."

Despite Carr's ruling, Barrett would be considered at long odds of making the touring party given he would not have played for almost three months by the time the Kangaroos open their campaign against the Kiwis on October 24.

There is also the small matter of a host of talented players he would have to beat out for a berth, with Gold Coast half Scott Prince favoured to be the back-up playmaker to No.1 pairing Darren Lockyer and Johnathan Thurston.

Stuart's claim that Barrett was too valuable to his NRL plans for 2010 to risk on the tour was shot down by Carr.

Barrett managed only 13 games in his comeback season to the NRL, with injuries and his representative recall to the NSW side limiting his appearances with the Sharks.

He suffered a fractured eye socket and fractured cheekbone in Saturday night's loss to Melbourne, the double injury blow ruling him out for the next 6-8 weeks.

"He has to be (available)," Carr said.

"Every NRL player is eligible for selection for representative football unless they've got special dispensation from the ARL board on application and Trent hasn't applied.

"Ricky understands that."

After playing a leading role in NSW's win in the Origin series finale, Barrett said he was keen to play game one next year when the Blues set about ending Queensland's recent domination.

But should the 31-year-old seek exemption from representative football ahead of the Quad Nations - involving Great Britain, New Zealand, France and Australia - he would not be able to play in next year's Origin series.

Barrett previously stood down from representative football in 2006 when he decided to concentrate on his final season with St George Illawarra before a two-year stint with Super League side Wigan.

Brought to you by AAP AAP © 2021 AAP

0 Comments about this article

Post a comment about this article

Please sign in to leave a comment.
Becoming a member is free and easy, sign up here.

« All sports news