SA's top cricket official quits - Sports News - Fanatics - the world's biggest events

SA's top cricket official quits

04/08/2009 05:51:16 PM Comments (0)

South Australia's top cricket official has quit following his disclosure of confidential details of negotiations with the SANFL over the use of Adelaide Oval.

The SA Cricket Association (SACA) board accepted chief executive Michael Deare's offer of resignation as a result of claims that comments made by Deare had damaged relations between the two parties.

The SANFL and the SACA have been at loggerheads for decades over the inner city oval, with the AFL recently being forced to step in as the peace maker.

Deare was widely quoted by Adelaide media last month in relation to key plans for the sale of AAMI Stadium to help fund the expansion of Adelaide Oval and make it the prime Adelaide venue for cricket, soccer and Australian Rules football.

SACA president Ian McLachlan, in a statement released on Tuesday, said he and the board were extraordinarily disappointed with the indiscretions and did not sanction Deare's comments.

"The damage done by a number of Michael's comments has been serious and consequently, his resignation has been accepted and will take effect at the end of this month," he said.

"Michael has served as SACA's chief executive for the past 12 years and I take no pleasure in announcing the end of his tenure in this way.

"Michael he has made a substantial contribution to the Association and Adelaide Oval itself."

AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou last week met with SANFL and SACA and said discussions were moving forward at a healthy rate despite trust difficulties between the parties.

Brought to you by AAP AAP © 2020 AAP

0 Comments about this article

Post a comment about this article

Please sign in to leave a comment.
Becoming a member is free and easy, sign up here.

« All sports news