Tuqiri, ARU settle out of court - Sports News - Fanatics - the world's biggest events

Tuqiri, ARU settle out of court

24/08/2009 07:27:26 PM Comments (0)

Wests Tigers have ruled out making a move to sign Lote Tuqiri after the Australian Rugby Union and the former Wallabies star announced an end to their court action on Monday.

The NRL club had been linked with the 29-year-old after his $1 million-a-year rugby contract was torn up by the ARU in July, but recruitment manager Warren McDonnell said it was unlikely he would be on their roster in 2010.

"As far as I'm concerned, we're not intending (to make an offer) at the moment, unless something dramatic happens with him," McDonnell told AAP.

"We know he's settled with union, but we haven't got any plans with him, we haven't got him pencilled in and we haven't got any (roster) spots left."

Gold Coast have not ruled out trying to entice Tuqiri, who left the NRL's Broncos to take up rugby in 2002, but Titans chief executive Michael Searle admitted the winger indicated a desire to remain in Sydney.

"I don't know what the settlement with the ARU was but I have always said we would sit down and have a chat with Lote but my understanding is that he wants to stay in Sydney," Searle told AAP.

"But if he wants to come back to Queensland we will have a chat with him.

"We are pretty much up to the limit on our cap, we have about 100 grand to play with, but we have our squad pretty much locked in for next year.

"I also believe he wants a short-term deal and that could be difficult for us as well.

"With two years I may be able to do something but one year would be hard."

Searle also said he believed the Sydney Roosters would the likeliest team to sign Tuqiri should the dual international opt to return to league.

The drawn-out sacking of Tuqiri ceased on Monday when the parties announced a negotiated settlement.

The former NSW Waratahs winger had his contract torn up by the ARU on July 1, but the circumstances leading to his sacking were not made public.

The ARU said only that Tuqiri had breached the player code of conduct, but not the law.

Tuqiri took action against the ARU alleging unfair dismissal and both sides argued against details being released.

"Following mediation discussions between the parties, an agreed settlement has been reached and Mr Tuqiri has agreed to discontinue his proceedings against the ARU and NSWRU," the ARU said in a statement released late on Monday.

"Lote's very happy with the outcome and now he hopes the clubs are going to start dialling his number," Tuqiri's lawyer Mark O'Brien told the Nine Network.

Brought to you by AAP AAP © 2022 AAP

0 Comments about this article

Post a comment about this article

Please sign in to leave a comment.
Becoming a member is free and easy, sign up here.

« All sports news