Surjan snags three-year Port extension - Sports News - Fanatics - the world's biggest events

Surjan snags three-year Port extension

By Daniel Brettig 09/09/2009 07:53:36 PM Comments (0)

Port Adelaide defender Jacob Surjan was one of a handful of Power players to enhance their reputations during a poor 2009 AFL campaign, and he has been rewarded for it with the provision of a three-year contract extension.

Surjan is expected to figure prominently in Port's end-of-season awards for a year in which his wholehearted defensive efforts under great pressure seldom flagged, and the Power moved to secure the Perth product as soon as their season ended.

"Jacob has been rewarded for a breakout season. He's been very consistent and taken his game to the next level by successfully matching up on the opposition's best players," said Power football operations manager Peter Rohde on Wednesday.

"He has set a great example this season through his intensity and defensive work. While he still has improvements to make, we believe he's got leadership potential and with 87 games under his belt we think he's about to enter the best stage of his career."

Despite the difficulties faced by Port in 2009, with more expected as the club undergoes a significant list shake-up, Surjan said it had been "easy" to commit his future to Alberton.

"I'm very happy to be staying at Port Adelaide," Surjan said.

"I'm always working on areas of my game, and with the recent retirements of experienced players, I'm looking forward to taking the next step in my development and becoming a leader here at the club.

"I look at our playing group and see a great, up and coming list that is determined to succeed. With such an exciting young list I'm very confident that the club is heading in the right direction.

"The decision to stay here at Port Adelaide was a pretty easy one in the end."

Port have so far lost premiership-winning trio Brendon Lade, Peter Burgoyne and Toby Thurstans to retirement, and it is not out of the question that more will follow.

Defender Michael Pettigrew, meanwhile, is thought to be close to inking his own extension to stay at the Power.

The Power announced late on Wednesday that midfielders Shaun Burgoyne and Steven Salopek had undergone post-season surgery.

Burgoyne had surgery to clean cartilage damage in his left knee following a year beset by problems, meaning his 2010 pre-season preparations will be delayed.

Port's fitness coach Cam Falloon said the Power would be cautious in their approach to Burgoyne's recovery.

"At this stage were not putting a set time frame as to when Shaun will be back running," he said.

"We are going to take a cautious approach given the bone bruising he had to the same knee throughout the season."

Salopek underwent a right shoulder reconstruction following the damage he suffered against North Melbourne in round seven.

Brought to you by AAP AAP © 2020 AAP

0 Comments about this article

Post a comment about this article

Please sign in to leave a comment.
Becoming a member is free and easy, sign up here.

« All sports news