Wigan crush Hull KR in eliminator - Sports News - Fanatics - the world's biggest events

Wigan crush Hull KR in eliminator

By Nick Webster 27/09/2009 06:40:55 AM Comments (0)

Wigan wing Pat Richards ensured the Warriors' play-off juggernaut continued to gather pace as Brian Noble's men held off a Hull KR fightback to reach the Super League semi-finals with a 30-16 win on Saturday.

The 27-year-old scored Wigan's decisive third try on the stroke of half-time to end Rovers' dreams of an Old Trafford Grand Final.

Kris Welham, Peter Fox and Chaz L'Anson hit back for Justin Morgan's men in the second half, but it wasn't enough to deny Noble's troops.

Rovers were dealt a blow early on as ex-Canberra half-back Michael Dobson missed an early penalty and then picked up a worrying knee injury in the tackle.

Dobson battled on but he was continually a target for the Warriors attack. And Noble's men didn't take too long to break the deadlock as former Newcastle Knights centre George Carmont crashed over.

Richards added a penalty before Iafeta Paleaaesina charged through the Rovers defence and scored under the posts.

Richards then scored a superb try from 30 metres out after collecting Sean O'Loughlin's pass and slotted over the kick for an 18-0 half-time lead.

But Morgan's men were a different side after the break and Welham finished well under pressure before Peter Fox's 18th try of the season saw Hull claw their way back into contention.

L'Anson's try brought Rovers back to within a score and the Craven Park crowd could sense a victory.

But two late tries from England centre Martin Gleeson gave Wigan breathing space and booked their ticket to the final four.

Meanwhile, Catalans full-back Clint Greenshields was the star of the show as the Dragons booked their semi-final spot with a 16-6 victory over fancied Huddersfield.

The former St George man scored the opening try of the match and then orchestrated Catalans second half fight back after Huddersfield had take a 6-4 lead into the half-time interval.

The Dragons, who finished eighth in Super League, have now upset the odds two weeks running after knocking out Wakefield last week.

Nathan Brown's Giants were dealt an early blow when they lost former Canberra and Canterbury star Jamahl Lolesi when he was hurt attempting a tackle on Dragons' second row Olivier Elima.

Huddersfield have had the best defence in Super League this season but centre Adam Mogg unlocked the Giants rearguard to allow Greenshields to cross the try line in the corner.

But five minutes before the break a moment of magic by Luke Robinson allowed the Giants to pull level.

The scrum-half jinked through the Catalans defence and crossed under the sticks to allow captain Brett Hodgson to add the extras.

Greenshields had a try disallowed for obstruction just before the break but Kevin Walters' men were still on the attack after the restart.

Dimitri Pelo's kick and chase saw them regain the lead and Thomas Bosc was on hand to slot the conversion.

And the victory was secured nine minutes from time when ex-Cronulla bad boy Greg Bird orchestrated a try for Elima to book their place in the final four.

Brought to you by AAP AAP © 2021 AAP

0 Comments about this article

Post a comment about this article

Please sign in to leave a comment.
Becoming a member is free and easy, sign up here.

« All sports news