Heavyweight England KO Kiwis - Sports News - Fanatics - the world's biggest events

Heavyweight England KO Kiwis

08/11/2009 08:38:57 AM Comments (0)

A heavyweight England floored world champions New Zealand 20-12 here on Saturday to set up a Four Nations final clash with Australia.

Two quickfire tries from Hull KR winger Peter Fox in the closing minutes of the first half proved crucial after Bryson Goodwin had matched Kyle Eastmond's opening score for England.

Ben Matulino ensured the contest remained open by touching down early in the second half but a Kevin Sinfield goal settled England's nerves as their disciplined defensive work was rewarded.

England coach Tony Smith's decision to beef up his pack at the last minute was vindicated as Sinfield, switched to hooker to accommodate the introduction of Sam Burgess, produced a man-of-the-match performance.

England effectively had four props in action with captain Jamie Peacock operating in the second row behind Adrian Morley and James Graham.

New Zealand handed a debut to 19-year-old Kieran Foran in place of the injured Steve Matai.

On a slick surface, England began slowly but took the lead after 10 minutes thanks to good work from Burgess, who went through two tackles before putting St Helens scrum Eastmond in under the posts.

New Zealand responded quickly and, after Peter Fox failed to intercept a long Lance Hohaia pass, Foran set up Goodwin in the corner.

Goodwin was unable to convert but levelled the score with a goal ten minutes before the interval after Eorl Crabtree was penalised for holding down Jared Waerea-Hargreaves.

Just before, referee Thierry Alibert had missed a swinging arm from Kiwi stand-off Benji Marshall which caught opposite number Sam Tomkins in the face.

England reclaimed the lead five minutes before the interval as Tomkins caught New Zealand off guard with a superb crossfield kick.

Fox was first to react and dived on the bouncing ball in the corner.

The Hull KR winger then doubled his tally on the stroke of half-time, cutting inside from the right touchline after being fed by Chris Bridge to give England a commanding 18-6 lead at the interval.

New Zealand pulled a try back through Ben Matulino, within two minutes of the restart.

Issac Luke made the initial burst, before Junior Sau cut inside from the right and then went wide to find Matulino, who narrowed the angle for Goodwin to convert.

England replied by producing two good breaks down the left but were unable to capitalise on them, setting the stage for a tense finale dominated by ferocious defensive work.

England strengthened their position when New Zealand conceded a penalty in front of their posts and ultimately were able to see the match out fairly comfortably, although the final minute was marred by the melee that ensued after Fuifoi Moimoi had felled Ben Westwood with a dangerous high tackle.

Brought to you by AAP AAP © 2020 AAP

0 Comments about this article

Post a comment about this article

Please sign in to leave a comment.
Becoming a member is free and easy, sign up here.

« All sports news