Waldron calls for public inquiry - Sports News - Fanatics - the world's biggest events

Waldron calls for public inquiry

27/04/2010 06:39:46 AM Comments (0)

Brian Waldron, the man accused of being the architect of the Melbourne Storm salary cap rorts, says he is willing to reveal all he knows about the scandal to a public inquiry.

While reports claim Waldron has asked for more than $100,000 to tell his side of the story, the former Storm chief executive called for a properly constituted and transparent inquiry.

The Storm last week admitted to breaching the salary cap by $1.7 million over the last five seasons, with the NRL stripping the club of two of its premierships and ordering it to return $1.1 million prize money and pay $500,000 in fines.

The News Limited-owned club was also docked any premiership points it would accrue in 2010.

In a statement released to various news outlets, Waldron said he was prepared to air his side of the story.

"I am prepared to give the entire background to (News Limited major shareholder) Rupert Murdoch so that he has a full understanding of how his company has managed a $66 million investment in the Melbourne Storm since its inception," he said in the statement.

Meanwhile Waldron has reportedly approached Network Seven through a PR company to appear on its Sunday Night program for a "six-figure sum" to tell his side of the story, the Herald Sun reported on Tuesday.

But Seven's head of news and current affairs, Peter Meakin, rejected the approach when he learned about the talks, the newspaper said.

Brought to you by AAP AAP © 2021 AAP

0 Comments about this article

Post a comment about this article

Please sign in to leave a comment.
Becoming a member is free and easy, sign up here.

« All sports news