Henjak has Broncos backing - Sports News - Fanatics - the world's biggest events

Henjak has Broncos backing

By Wayne Heming 06/05/2010 07:12:25 PM Comments (0)

Ivan Henjak's coaching future at the Broncos is safe despite the club finding wins scarce.

Another loss to Melbourne on Sunday would take Brisbane's 2010 start to 2-7 - the worst since 1999 when under Wayne Bennett they won just one of their first 10 games.

That year they won the next 11, climbing from last into eighth place, and beating Canberra into the finals by one premiership point.

Henjak, who in January signed a contract extension with the Broncos through till 2012, said it was good to know the board supported him, particularly given the club's horrible injury run. "You need it (support) when times are tough like this," he told AAP on Thursday.

"This is when you need everyone sticking together.

"This club has climbed its way out of some pretty bad situations before and it's got enough character to do it again as long as everyone sticks together and keeps the faith.

"It's pretty obvious we're doing it tough at the moment but there's some reasons for that which are out of our control.

"It'll get better but right at this moment, things are looking pretty bleak and people are panicking (outside the club), not our football department, but other people."

The calls will get louder should Melbourne do a job on the Broncos on Sunday.

"They were pretty loud last year but they all went deathly quiet at the end," said Henjak, who had to contend with a mid season slump before the Broncos rattled off seven straight wins to finish a solitary victory out of the grand final.

"One thing I do know is if you work hard, have a good attitude and stick solid, you will come out the other end."

Brisbane have six starting players, including centre Justin Hodges, hooker Andrew McCullough and halfback Peter Wallace, on the sidelines.

"This is one year we probably can't afford that many players out," said Henjak.

"But we have and we have to live with it, it's all part of footy.

"I'm not feeling sorry for us, it's the situation we're in and we're going to get on with it and do the best we can."

Broncos chief executive Bruno Cullen defended Henjak, saying the injury toll had left its mark.

"I would hate to think a coach from any club would be sacked because he lost half his team through injury and they didn't win a game," he said.

Brought to you by AAP AAP © 2022 AAP

0 Comments about this article

Post a comment about this article

Please sign in to leave a comment.
Becoming a member is free and easy, sign up here.

« All sports news