Broncos 'working on' new deal for Folau - Sports News - Fanatics - the world's biggest events

Broncos 'working on' new deal for Folau

By Wayne Heming 13/05/2010 06:40:35 PM Comments (0)

The NRL's good news week could be about to get a whole lot better with Brisbane poised to offer centre Israel Folau a beefed-up new deal which they hope will prevent the Broncos superstar heading to rugby union.

On the back of Johnathan Thurston's decision to stay in rugby league, and news Mark Gasnier is reportedly keen to once again don St George Illawarra's 'Red V' comes revelations out of Red Hill that the Broncos are back in the race to keep Folau.

The six-time premiers have also denied holding any discussions with Melbourne's Test hooker Cameron Smith.

This follows speculation Storm players are being forced out as a result of the club's salary cap rorting.

However, the Broncos are on the verge of signing off on a multi-year deal to entice representative prop Ben Hannant back to the club.

"I think it's pretty widely acknowledged that we're in negotiations with Ben Hannant and hopefully we will have an answer soon with that," the club's newly appointed general manager of football operations Andrew Gee told AAP on Thursday.

Folau failed to take up a two-year option last for the next two season 10 days ago amid reports he was the target of massive rugby union and AFL offers.

"We haven't (made him a new offer) as of yet, but we're working on it," Gee said.

"I think, any rugby league club, or for that matter any football code in the world would love to have him."

It is believed Brisbane's upset win over Melbourne last weekend with so many young Broncos players involved, and Thurston's decision this week to stay loyal to rugby league has caused Folau to rethink his future.

Add to that the fact the Broncos now have a bit more space under the cap following Petero Civoniceva's decision to stay with Penrith, and the outlook is much brighter in regard to Folau's future a week ago than it seemed to be a week ago.

"We're not giving up yet," said Broncos coach Ivan Henjak when asked if Folau's continued silence was a good thing.

"There's still some hope that he'll make a decision in our favour."

Gee said while the club was locked into negotiations with Hannant, who wants a release from the Bulldogs to return home to his family, and working on a new Folau deal, they would not be in the ball park for anyone else.

"Our talks with Ben are progressing well and we've been talking with him for a while so we're just waiting for an answer," Gee said.

With Melbourne now talking up legal action against the NRL it could be months before its players know their fate, with the club likely to ultimately be forced to release players to get them back under the salary cap for 2011.

Gee said Brisbane weren't prepared to play the waiting game.

"Until something does come out of it about them (Melbourne) I think we should all sit back on our heels and let it play out.

"However that could take months, and you can't wait months at this stage, you need to have your roster sorted for the upcoming season and that's what we're doing as a club."

Brought to you by AAP AAP © 2023 AAP

0 Comments about this article

Post a comment about this article

Please sign in to leave a comment.
Becoming a member is free and easy, sign up here.

« All sports news