Docker Johnson's drug past resurfaces - Sports News - Fanatics - the world's biggest events

Docker Johnson's drug past resurfaces

By Justin Chadwick 26/05/2010 06:04:28 PM Comments (0)

Fremantle bad boy Michael Johnson will be forced to undergo more rigorous drug counselling after his late-night partying and previous brush with drugs were revealed.

And Dockers coach Mark Harvey, clearly disappointed over the storm Johnson has created, ordered the 25-year-old to stay away from Sunday's AFL clash with North Melbourne at Subiaco Oval.

Fremantle were left fuming when Johnson was spotted at a Perth nightspot in the early hours of Sunday morning - just a week after he was caught by police with 0.15g of cocaine.

Johnson pleaded guilty to the possession charge and was fined $500 by the Perth Magistrates Court.

The Dockers were then rocked by revelations the father-of-two had been caught with ecstasy in 2005.

Johnson wasn't charged on that occasion after agreeing to undergo a drugs diversion program.

But Fremantle had no clue about that brush with the law when they handed down Johnson's club-imposed punishment for the cocaine charge.

Dockers chief executive Steve Rosich said the club wouldn't impose any further sanctions on Johnson but did reveal the forward would now have to undergo more drug counselling than what was previously arranged.

"It's clear that the length of that counselling session and indeed probably the rigour will increase," Rosich said.

"Michael certainly has lost some trust and respect with the football club and also with his fellow players and that respect and trust needs to be earned back.

"We'll certainly provide him that opportunity, that opportunity will be best granted by being back at the football club and he'll be back on Monday (when his training ban expires)."

Johnson had already been suspended by his club for six weeks, barred from training until May 31, dumped from the leadership group, fined $5000 and ordered to undergo drug counselling as well as voluntary target-testing under the AFL's illicit drugs policy.

Surprisingly, Harvey revealed he hasn't spoken to Johnson about the drug issue.

"I have spoken to Michael about how he's going, not about it specifically," Harvey said.

"I actually haven't seen Michael since it's happened.

"My only direct conversation has been by phone and I would rather talk to him personally.

"I'm not a guy that likes to speak via mobile phone, texts - about the issues - emails etc."

Harvey described Johnson's decision to visit a nightspot over the weekend as "poor judgement" and said it was best for the team if the 92-game veteran didn't attend Sunday's game.

"Individuals are different but I would probably say to him watch from afar," Harvey said.

Johnson is allowed back at training on Monday but isn't available for selection until the club's round 14 clash with Port Adelaide.

When asked whether he feared Johnson had fallen off the rails, Harvey replied: "I don't think so, no I don't.

"I can only speak about Michael Johnson the player and the guy I know around the football club.

"He has got great character.

"Other things are up to him to work out now.

"Sometimes the game can actually hopefully steer him in the right direction."

Brought to you by AAP AAP © 2021 AAP

0 Comments about this article

Post a comment about this article

Please sign in to leave a comment.
Becoming a member is free and easy, sign up here.

« All sports news