Ellis confident in security at World Cup - Sports News - Fanatics - the world's biggest events

Ellis confident in security at World Cup

31/05/2010 06:10:56 PM Comments (0)

Australian Sport Minister Kate Ellis is confident about World Cup security arrangements following reports there is a high risk of terror attack at next month's tournament in South Africa.

The Sunday Times newspaper cited a briefing to the US Congress counter-terrorism caucus last week by the NEFA Foundation, a terror research group, which warned that simultaneous and random attacks were being planned during the month-long event.

But Ms Ellis, who is preparing to head over to South Africa for the competition, said she wasn't worried.

"I'm very much looking forward to going over there, cheering on the Socceroos and doing everything I can to promote Australia's bid so that we can put ourselves forward as a very safe place to host the World Cup in the future," she told reporters in Canberra on Monday.

Mr Ellis said federal authorities were being kept abreast of any possible security risks at the World Cup, and travellers could monitor the situation through the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade's (DFAT) Smartraveller website.

"We have ongoing conversations with DFAT, who are also ... working with the Football Federation of Australia," she said.

"FIFA has been adamant that security in South Africa is as tight as it possibly can be.

"We've also heard from the South African organising committee that their security procedures have been tested over 150 times."

Ms Ellis said the security of Australian athletes and spectators was the government's priority.

Brought to you by AAP AAP © 2022 AAP

0 Comments about this article

Post a comment about this article

Please sign in to leave a comment.
Becoming a member is free and easy, sign up here.

« All sports news