Crows farewell Edwards with 23-point win - Sports News - Fanatics - the world's biggest events

Crows farewell Edwards with 23-point win

By Steve Larkin 05/06/2010 08:10:49 PM Comments (0)

Twinkle-toed Tyson Edwards farewelled the AFL a winner but Andrew McLeod's future took a twist during Adelaide's 23 point upset win over Fremantle.

Edwards was influential in Adelaide's 16.9 (105) to 12.10 (82) victory at AAMI Stadium on Saturday, gathering 32 possessions and kicking two team-lifting goals.

But fellow stalwart McLeod's outlook includes possible knee surgery.

McLeod's troublesome right knee prevented him playing the last half of the Crows' third win of the year, and he will consult a knee surgeon on Monday.

That injury took some gloss off Adelaide's deserved win, the Crows leading at every change to inflict Fremantle's third defeat this season.

Edwards retired after his 321st game but coach Neil Craig was uncertain what inspiration the swansong provided.

"Emotion for Tyson ... it's hard to measure," Craig said.

"We didn't use it at any stage in the lead-up to the game ... we didn't talk about it today at all.

"That doesn't mean that the guys didn't draw upon it."

Nor was Craig inclined to ask Edwards - who could claim three Brownlow Medal votes in his final game - to reconsider his retirement.

"He has made his call," Craig said.

"I think he was absolutely honest when he said the game has gone past him.

"If you went and spoke to Tyson tomorrow morning, to keep going to the well is unrealistic and not appropriate."

Edwards' retirement appeared tangible motivation for his teammates as Adelaide's dominant first half paved their way to victory over the second-placed Dockers.

Adelaide young guns Taylor Walker (four goals) and Patrick Dangerfield (19 disposals, two goals) were prominent, as were experienced hands Scott Thompson (34 disposals, two goals) and captain Simon Goodwin (30 touches).

Walker's haul included three goals of genuine quality, none greater than a remarkable boundary line bomb from 55m in the second quarter.

The 20-year-old helped an accurate Adelaide established a game defining halftime lead of 23 points - the ultimate winning margin.

The Crows kicked 11.3 to 7.4 in the opening half before a scoring stalemate in the second half.

The Dockers now have a win-loss record of 8-3, a home match against St Kilda next Sunday, and an unimpressed coach - Mark Harvey.

"Some of our structures fell down today which we we're not happy about," Harvey said.

"Clearly they (Adelaide) were up and about and we could never arrest the situation."

Harvey, optimistically, said he did not expect the match review panel to examine a second quarter collision between his ruckman Aaron Sandilands and Adelaide's eight-gamer Phil Davis.

Davis was knocked out and suffered a suspected broken collarbone after running with the flight of the ball to mark, the footy arriving at the same time as Sandilands' hip and shoulder.

"I didn't think there was much in it all," Harvey said.

"Quite clearly ... we were kicking into the breeze and Aaron had to make a lunge for the mark, that was it, that was all."

Brought to you by AAP AAP © 2021 AAP

0 Comments about this article

Post a comment about this article

Please sign in to leave a comment.
Becoming a member is free and easy, sign up here.

« All sports news