Carr 'fighting losing battle' on Folau - Sports News - Fanatics - the world's biggest events

Carr 'fighting losing battle' on Folau

By Steve Jancetic 21/06/2010 07:51:08 PM Comments (0)

He hasn't given up the fight, but NSW rugby league general manager Geoff Carr is resigned to the fact Queensland winger Israel Folau will play in next month's State of Origin finale.

Carr called for Folau to be banned from the dead rubber at ANZ Stadium on July 7 fearing it would be a marketing boon for new AFL franchise Greater Western Sydney.

Folau is GWS's high-profile recruit for 2010, but Carr admitted he was fighting a losing battle in establishing a rule preventing his selection by the Maroons.

The issue was set to come to a head at an ARL board meeting last week, but with that meeting delayed until Friday, Carr said time was running out.

He does however remain determined to bring about a change to regulations barring players who announce a code-switch from playing in rugby league's showpiece event.

"We'll meet with Queensland on Friday but they've got a legal opinion to say they can pick him," Carr told AAP on Monday.

"I haven't changed my views but I'm probably not going to win the day on that one.

"I'll raise it (at Friday's meeting)... but if they're determined to pick him, I don't think there's much I can do about it."

While the Folau issue will be on the agenda on Friday, Carr said the main priority of the gathering was to continue negotiations regarding the establishment of an independent commission.

The Queensland faction are determined to have their rights protected in any new regime, and it was the NSWRL's desire to seek legal opinion on several issues which led to the postponement of last week's meeting.

Brought to you by AAP AAP © 2021 AAP

0 Comments about this article

Post a comment about this article

Please sign in to leave a comment.
Becoming a member is free and easy, sign up here.

« All sports news