Premiership or bust for Williams at Port - Sports News - Fanatics - the world's biggest events

Premiership or bust for Williams at Port

By Justin Chadwick 02/07/2010 06:05:53 PM Comments (0)

Port Adelaide coach Mark Williams has-all but conceded his time at the helm is nearing an end, claiming anything short of a premiership next year would probably result in his exit from the AFL club.

Williams, in his 12th season as Port coach, said he would be amazed if he was re-signed by the Power when his contract expires at the end of 2011.

The 51-year-old took a major pay cut in re-signing with the club this time last year following a drawn-out negotiation process.

But Port's six-game losing streak, which has the club in grave danger of a third straight season out of the finals, has seen the pressure again mount on Williams.

"I would be amazed if I was there more than two years, this year and next," Williams said before indicating he wanted to see out his contract.

"If you are interested in protecting your win-loss record ... that is the only reason you would (leave now).

"I see great development in our group."

Williams' frank admission about his future could pave the way for the club to devise a succession plan similar to that in place at Sydney (John Longmire to take over from Paul Roos next season) and Collingwood (Nathan Buckley to replace Mick Malthouse in 2012).

Former North Melbourne coach Dean Laidley, in his first season as an assistant at the Power, would be the front runner to take over from Williams, who said he understood why people were calling for his head.

"We have lost some games and I've been there a long time ... all those things are factored in, but if you want to spend some time to come and see what we do ... we work hard and the players enjoy the environment," the 2004 premiership coach said.

"To be in the predicament we are in, the feel around the group says something about the management and how it all works.

"From where we are at the moment it is a good as it could be."

Meanwhile, Williams was confident midfielder Travis Boak would resist offers from the Gold Coast and several Victorian clubs to re-sign with the Power.

"Trav and his management have talked to (Port football operations manager) Peter (Rohde) and put something to us," Williams said.

"We are considering that and will put something back to him, so negotiations have certainly started.

"We are very enthused by that and not too far away (we're confident) he will make his announcement in our favour."

Boak has been ruled out of Saturday's clash with Fremantle in Perth due to a lingering groin complaint and will be replaced by either Nick Salter or Jay Nash.

The Power also lost Josh Carr (ribs) and Jacob Surjan (knee) from the team that lost to the Kangaroos last week, although the return of Steven Salopek, Brett Ebert and Troy Chaplin are handy inclusions.

Michael Johnson, who was caught by police in possession of cocaine last month, will return for Fremantle after serving his five-match club-imposed ban.

Alex Silvagni was dropped but could earn a late reprieve if Chris Tarrant, who is batting an Achilles tendon problem, doesn't come up.

Brought to you by AAP AAP © 2021 AAP

0 Comments about this article

Post a comment about this article

Please sign in to leave a comment.
Becoming a member is free and easy, sign up here.

« All sports news