Broncos pull out of deal for Inglis - Sports News - Fanatics - the world's biggest events

Broncos pull out of deal for Inglis

By Wayne Heming 12/07/2010 03:50:20 PM Comments (0)

Brisbane have pulled out of negotiations for NRL superstar Greg Inglis who is now almost certain to remain with Melbourne.

Inglis' manager Allan Gainey contacted the Broncos' general manager of football operations Andrew Gee on Monday to inform him the offer made to the Queensland and Australian centre earlier in day was not enough to get him to Brisbane.

"They've knocked it back," Gee told AAP.

"It was non-negotiable, so the deal is off."

Gee has been having informal talks with Gainey about Inglis for almost a month.

Inglis approached Melbourne on Saturday and the club reluctantly agreed to give him a release provided the offer he was made was comparable to his current deal with the Storm.

It's understand Brisbane's offer was "very attractive".

"Gainey contact me today (Monday) and wanted to know what we were prepared to offer Greg," said Gee.

"They wanted to know quickly, so we put out offer on the table.

"Gainey called me back (Monday afternoon) and said it was not acceptable."

Inglis is now expected to inform Melbourne he will stay with the club next year.

Brisbane had been very keen to sign Inglis with its own superstar centre Israel Folau heading over the AFL next season.

Inglis approached Melbourne on Saturday for a release for personal reasons.

The Queensland Origin star owns a house in the Brisbane suburb of Paddington, 10 minutes from the Broncos' headquarters, and his fiancee, Sally Robinson, works in Brisbane.

Brought to you by AAP AAP © 2020 AAP

0 Comments about this article

Post a comment about this article

Please sign in to leave a comment.
Becoming a member is free and easy, sign up here.

« All sports news