Inglis' likely move to Broncos 'stalled' - Sports News - Fanatics - the world's biggest events

Inglis' likely move to Broncos 'stalled'

By Wayne Heming 25/07/2010 04:43:01 PM Comments (0)

While Sam Thaiday has debunked speculation of a possible move home to North Queensland, Brisbane are no wiser about their offer to Melbourne Storm star Greg Inglis.

The Broncos were upset by headlines last week that Inglis's signing could mean losing Thaiday to the Cowboys.

"I'm not going back home," said Thaiday, seen as the heir apparent to Lockyer's captaincy.

"My mum and dad are still up there but I don't see myself going to the Cowboys. It's a good club but Brisbane is my first priority."

Despite reports the Gold Coast would lodge a better offer with Inglis's manager Allan Gainey on the weekend, Brisbane have had no communication or word on negotiations which have stalled because of more pressing issues facing his NRL club.

Brisbane chief executive Bruno Cullen said on Sunday the club would play the waiting game but would not budge on its one and only offer to Inglis.

"Absolutely nothing has changed," Cullen said of the Inglis situation.

"We've put an offer to him, it's still the same, it won't change.

"We're not in negotiations with them at the moment because that's our offer.

"The delay, if there is a delay, is down there (Melbourne).

"We won't get involved in what Greg and his manager, Melbourne and the NRL salary cap auditor have to work out.

"When all that's done they'll come back to us and say `we accept your offer or we don't accept your offer'.

"There won't be any other negotiations, either he's coming or he's not."

Cullen said the Inglis opportunity "came out of the blue" and the club would not go searching for players if the Inglis deal fell through.

"We made them an offer, they knocked it back and when the Deloitte report (into the extent of Melbourne rorting) came out, they (Gainey) came back and said: `We're interested again'.

Cullen questioned the figures being quoted that Brisbane could cobble together for Inglis, reportedly on more than $600,000 a season with the Storm.

"When they first contacted us and said Greg Inglis was interested in coming to the Broncos, we weren't in the market for any other player," said Cullen.

"We were happy to move to 2011 with the players we've got.

"People talk about us having a pot of gold but we've just signed (upgraded) 13 players.

"If Greg Inglis rung us this afternoon and said he is not coming, the cue would go in the rack and we wouldn't go out looking for another player."

Brought to you by AAP AAP © 2021 AAP

0 Comments about this article

Post a comment about this article

Please sign in to leave a comment.
Becoming a member is free and easy, sign up here.

« All sports news