Manly smash Storm to boost finals hopes - Sports News - Fanatics - the world's biggest events

Manly smash Storm to boost finals hopes

By Ed Jackson 07/08/2010 07:27:16 PM Comments (0)

Manly reignited their NRL finals ambitions with a 26-6 win over Melbourne on Saturday.

The four tries to one victory lifted the Sea Eagles back into sixth on the ladder with four games to play as well as giving most of the 12,550 fans at Brookvale Oval plenty of satisfaction.

Their opinion of their 2007 and 2008 grand final opponents was crystal clear in the Storm's first trip to Sydney's northern beaches since the salary cap rorting revelations.

The crowd jeered the visitors at every opportunity, particularly fullback Billy Slater.

The Queensland No.1 had a quiet night, compounded when giant Manly winger Tony Williams used him as a speedbump on his way to a first-half try.

The man known as T-Rex ran straight over Slater in the 16th minute to give Manly an early 12-0 lead after Eagles co-captain Jamie Lyon had opened the scoring in the 11th minute.

That lead became 18 points when Steve Matai scored on the back of a Brett Finch penalty, before Ryan Hoffman got the Storm on the board in the 33rd minute.

Williams had a chance to snare a first-half double but lost control of the ball as he dove for the corner to keep the score 18-6 at the break.

The second half started brightly for Melbourne but they couldn't close the gap, Manly getting back to a three-try advantage when Lyon scored his second of the night in the 50th minute by climbing over a pack of players to snare a Kieran Foran chip.

Lyon took his personal points haul to 18 by slotting a penalty goal with 20 to go to complete the scoring, while Melbourne's miserable night was completed when Slater failed to ground a Cameron Smith grubber in the dying minutes.

The only downside for Manly was their injury toll with prop Josh Perry suffering a suspected broken leg in the game's opening moments while NSW Origin backrower Anthony Watmough strained the medial ligament in his left knee just before halftime.

Hooker Matt Ballin also left the field midway through the second term with concussion to give coach Des Hasler some potential selection headaches before next week's clash with St George Illawarra.

Brought to you by AAP AAP © 2021 AAP

0 Comments about this article

Post a comment about this article

Please sign in to leave a comment.
Becoming a member is free and easy, sign up here.

« All sports news