AFL's Brown found guilty, Bevan cleared - Sports News - Fanatics - the world's biggest events

AFL's Brown found guilty, Bevan cleared

By Roger Vaughan 24/08/2010 07:22:38 PM Comments (0)

Collingwood ruckman Josh Fraser could finally play his 200th AFL match this Saturday after Leigh Brown failed to have his striking charge downgraded.

Brown will miss the round-22 game against Hawthorn and have 70 demerit points hanging over his head during the finals after the tribunal agreed his striking charge warranted a reckless rating.

Also on Tuesday night, the tribunal cleared Sydney defender Paul Bevan of rough conduct.

Bevan was risking 93.75 demerit points by challenging the charge.

Brown tried to have his charge reduced from reckless to negligent, which would have freed him to play on Saturday and left him with 93.75 points.

Fraser has been out of the senior side since round 12 and it has proved a tough decision for the Magpies whether they try to recall him for his 200th.

He kicked five goals in the VFL last weekend and Brown's suspension could now open the door for him.

Brown was booked for hitting Adelaide defender Graham Johncock to the face with an open hand during Saturday night's narrow win at the MCG.

The Magpie said he was trying to regain balance after unsuccessfully trying to smother Johncock's kick.

"I don't think it was a strike, my hands were out there for balance," Brown said.

"I didn't think I was going to make contact with him."

Brown would have received a suspension had he taken the early plea but he only would have had 27.50 carryover points.

Brown and Collingwood football manager Geoff Walsh declined to comment as they left the hearing.

The tribunal jury took about 20 minutes to rule that Bevan's tackle on Western Bulldogs midfielder Ryan Griffen was not dangerous.

Bevan said he was committed to the tackle and did not realise Griffen was off the ground and had already disposed of the ball.

"We're taught to tackle like that at training and I think I delivered a pretty good tackle," Bevan said.

Earlier on Tuesday, Geelong coach Mark Thompson said the club would have challenged the suspensions handed to James Podsiadly and Josh Hunt if they were not so close to the finals.

Podsiadly accepted a two-match ban for front-on contact and Hunt took a one-game suspension for rough conduct.

"I probably would've challenged Podsiadly and maybe Hunt (a month ago), Thompson said.

"Its a bit of a shame, but that's the way it is.

"We haven't got a problem with any part of the process."

Brought to you by AAP AAP © 2021 AAP

0 Comments about this article

Post a comment about this article

Please sign in to leave a comment.
Becoming a member is free and easy, sign up here.

« All sports news