Cops called into NRL betting probe - Sports News - Fanatics - the world's biggest events

Cops called into NRL betting probe

By Steve Jancetic 01/09/2010 06:57:43 PM Comments (0)

The State Crime Command has been called in to take over investigations into suspicious betting activity surrounding last month's Canterbury-North Queensland NRL match.

While NSW police have only made "preliminary enquiries" at this stage, the move to involve law enforcement officials represents a significant development in the betting plunge.

Suspicions we raised when an unusual number of bets were placed on the first points scoring option for the August 24 match, where there was a massive push for the normally unlikely event of a penalty goal being the first score.

The NRL conducted their own investigations in conjunction with Racing NSW chairman of stewards Ray Murrihy and betting agencies, but it was soon decided the police would be in the best position to continue the probe.

The matter was then passed to the State Crime Command, which is made up of 12 squads specialising in particular types of crime.

"It's only preliminary enquiries that we're doing at the moment," a NSW Police spokesperson said.

NSW Police refused to speculate on what charges could be laid against anyone found to be involved in the attempted sting.

"Police are aware of the allegations and are currently liaising with the NRL in relation to the matter," NSW Police said in a statement.

"Police are currently in the process of conducting preliminary enquiries, including the examination of material provided by the NRL.

"As such a determination will be made in due time in relation to the appropriate course of action."

With the possibility that police may not lay charges, the NRL has not closed he door on its own investigations.

"Clearly this is a matter that requires the most thorough investigation possible and we believe it is in everyone's interests for the police to be involved," NRL chief executive David Gallop said.

"We have informally shared with them the information that has been compiled to date and will continue to work with them to assist with any investigation that may result."

Amongst the items handed over to police were betting records supplied by agencies and vision of the match.

Betting agencies raised the alarm when 95 per cent of bets on the match were placed on North Queensland kicking a penalty goal as the first points scoring play of the game.

At this stage the NRL has not made any accusations against any individuals, while Canterbury forward Ryan Tandy has strongly denied any involvement after being implicated in the scandal.

Tandy knocked on at the first play-the-ball of the game and then gave away a penalty in front of his own posts, opening up the opportunity for the Cowboys to kick a penalty goal.

However, the Cowboys opted for a tap and ultimately scored a try.

Brought to you by AAP AAP © 2020 AAP

0 Comments about this article

Post a comment about this article

Please sign in to leave a comment.
Becoming a member is free and easy, sign up here.

« All sports news