'Own people' out to get Tahu - Sports News - Fanatics - the world's biggest events

'Own people' out to get Tahu

By David Beniuk 07/10/2010 07:51:17 PM Comments (0)

Parramatta star Timana Tahu claims his "own people" are out to get him after he was accused of racially abusing a teenage Aboriginal player on the weekend.

Tahu allegedly called a 16-year-old boy a "black c***" while playing in a fiery indigenous knockout tournament match on the NSW Central Coast.

The 29-year-old, who was named the male sportsperson of the year at the indigenous community's Deadly Awards last week, has strenuously denied he made the comment to Caleb Binge.

"These accusations that are happening today are laughable," Tahu told the Nine Network.

"There was a lot of trash talk with both sides ... but I never heard any racial slurs from anyone.

"It's something that I'm very shocked at, my own people are out to get me."

The accusation comes just four months after the dual international stormed out of a NSW State of Origin camp in protest at league great Andrew Johns using the same insult to describe Queensland star Greg Inglis.

Tahu said his stance on Johns had made him a target.

"It does hurt some people," he said. "It does put a few noses out of joint."

And, as Binge's family demanded an apology, Tahu denied being a hypocrite.

"People are going to say that," he said.

"I stood up for that reason and I walked out on an Origin jumper and that's something I take pride in."

The Australian Rugby League Indigenous Council will investigate the claims, with chairman William "Smiley" Johnstone seeking to meet both parties.

"The ARL Indigenous Council this year offered its assistance on these issues and we believe it is important for everyone that we get to the bottom of things," Johnstone said in a statement.

"Hopefully we can achieve that in a short space of time."

NSW Country Rugby League boss Terry Quinn said he expected a formal complaint to be made.

"We believe there is an official complaint coming in but until that time we can't do a lot," he said.

"We're just trying to contact all bodies concerned."

The CRL will also investigate reports of crowd trouble at the event.

"I know there's some other issues there," Quinn said.

Parramatta CEO Paul Osborne, who did not return calls on Thursday, has already called on the man who mediated between former team-mates Tahu and Johns, the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Social Justice Commissioner Mick Gooda.

The latest incident comes near the end of a tumultuous year for Tahu, who was also suspended for a blatant high shot in his first match back after walking out on the Blues.

The former Newcastle star, who is off-contract, also fell out with sacked Eels coach Daniel Anderson.

Meanwhile, English Super League club Bradford have insisted Matt Orford will report for pre-season training next month despite new Parramatta coach Stephen Kearney declaring he wants the former Manly halfback.

Orford's manager George Mimis also said the 32-year-old would fulfill his deal, despite reports of homesickness.

"I'm not in a position to comment on his private business apart from that he's got two years to go on his Bradford contract which he'll fulfill," Mimis told AAP.

Canberra have virtually given up on signing Orford but Mimis said, despite him not being for sale, several NRL clubs had still expressed an interest.

Brought to you by AAP AAP © 2020 AAP

0 Comments about this article

Post a comment about this article

Please sign in to leave a comment.
Becoming a member is free and easy, sign up here.

« All sports news