Inglis defends walking out on Broncos - Sports News - Fanatics - the world's biggest events

Inglis defends walking out on Broncos

By Wayne Heming and Steve Jancetic 08/11/2010 08:45:27 PM Comments (0)

Renegade NRL star Greg Inglis claims he was entitled to look after himself but has failed to offer any specific reasons for walking out on a deal with Brisbane at the last minute.

Inglis is expected to link up with South Sydney as early as this week after failing to follow through on a proposed two-year deal with the Broncos on Saturday, the lure of Rabbitohs owner Russell Crowe proving too tempting for the Test centre.

While the 23-year-old refused to confirm a deal with the Rabbitohs, he admitted he could have walked out on the game had Crowe not come calling.

"Pretty much ... if a good deal didn't come to the table I was looking somewhere else, switching codes," Inglis told the Nine Network.

"It was hard (walking out on Brisbane) but at the end of the day I've got to look after myself - I'm my own man and I've got to look after what keeps me happy.

"I had offers from other codes as well but I love league and that's where I want to be."

However a potential spanner in the works emerged on Monday when Melbourne released a statement confirming Inglis remained a Storm player.

The Storm agreed in August to release Inglis to join the Broncos on compassionate grounds, with his fiancee having secured employment in Brisbane.

"Greg Inglis remains a contracted player with Melbourne Storm and, in accordance with NRL rules, Melbourne Storm retains the right to determine who may be granted permission to negotiate with Greg Inglis," chief executive Ron Gauci said.

"At this point in time, Melbourne Storm has not received any formal request from any club requesting permission to open contract negotiations with Greg Inglis.

"Melbourne Storm is open to any request, subject to conditions, by any club seeking permission to negotiate with Greg Inglis."

While compassionate grounds were used to explain the Storm's original release of Inglis, the club cannot afford to keep him given they have to shed players to get under the salary cap for next season.

While he dreads the thought of lining up against Inglis in the NRL next year, Melbourne fullback Billy Slater said he hated the prospect of losing him to another code even more.

"He's got power, he's quick, he's elusive, he's got skill and strength and he can read the game," said Slater, in camp with the Australian side ahead of Saturday night's Four Nations final in Brisbane.

"It would be an absolute tragedy if the game was to lose him.

"It's difficult circumstances for him and his family. As a mate I just want the best for Greg and just hope who he plays for and what (sport) he plays, he is happy.

"As a Queensland teammate and a Kangaroos teammate of his I'd certainly love him to stay in the game.

"Within the rules, we've got to find a way to keep Greggie in our game.

"I'd like him to stay at our club if he could, but that's certainly not possible."

Meanwhile coach Ivan Henjak said Inglis' shock decision on Saturday not to sign with the Broncos had been discussed briefly before training on Monday and he hadn't detected any obvious disillusionment among players.

"I think we moved on as soon as the decision was made," said Henjak after Monday's training session.

"There was always a chance when he didn't sign the contract and didn't turn up for training this could happen."

Brought to you by AAP AAP © 2021 AAP

0 Comments about this article

Post a comment about this article

Please sign in to leave a comment.
Becoming a member is free and easy, sign up here.

« All sports news