Saints and Tigers draw at MCG - Sports News - Fanatics - the world's biggest events

Saints and Tigers draw at MCG

Roger Vaughan 02/04/2011 12:47:18 AM Comments (0)

St Kilda and Richmond have drawn a riveting AFL match on Friday night at the MCG.

St Kilda first-gamer Daniel Archer and team-mate Stephen Milne marked and kicked behinds in the last two minutes, with the Saints on 13.17 (95) and Richmond at 14.11 (95) at the final siren.

In a brutal match Saints star Lenny Hayes suffered a potentially-serious knee injury, Richmond's star forward Jack Riewoldt was subbed out of the game early because of concussion and Tigers key defender Luke McGuane faced suspension for a heavy hit on Farren Ray.

Scores were level four times in the final term and the lead changed four times in the sodden conditions.

McGuane was also harshly penalised for a deliberate rushed behind midway through the quarter and Riewoldt kicked his third goal from the free kick.

Daniel Jackson goaled to put the Tigers two points ahead with just over two minutes left, but the rest of the game was spent in the Saints' forward line.

Milne kicked 4.7, while Richmond's Brett Deledio was best afield with a brilliant run-with game on Saints star Brendon Goddard.

Including last year's grand finals, there have now been three draws in 11 AFL matches.

Hayes was holding his left knee in agony after going for the ball in the midfield early in the third term.

Underlining how hard it was for the Saints, Riewoldt had no touches in the third term.

A big moment came late in the third term when Tigers forward Mitch Morton soared over Zac Dawson for an outstanding mark and passed off to Trent Cotchin.

But Cotchin missed the simple shot on goal in a big let-off for St Kilda.

Saints ruckman Ben McEvoy then marked strongly late in the term and goaled to bring his side to within three points at the last change.

The Tigers led by seven points at halftime after an impressive recovery.

Midway through the first term, with the Tigers three goals down, Riewoldt hit his head on the ground after flying for a high ball and two trainers had to help him from the field.

He then argued several times with Richmond support staff during and after quarter time as the Tigers decided to invoke the league's stricter new concussion guidelines and take him out of the game.

Substitute Brad Helbig kicked a booming 50m goal soon after coming onto the field to help spark the Richmond fightback.

St Kilda are fearing the worst on Hayes' knee injury - an anterior cruciate ligament rupture that would need a season-ending reconstruction.

As expected, McGuane was reported for engaging in rough conduct against Ray.

While Saints coach Ross Lyon and his Richmond counterpart Damien Hardwick said they were disappointed with the draw, it was still a massive result for the Tigers.

Richmond were 15th last year, while the Saints have made the last two grand finals.

Three of St Kilda's last four games have had a combined margin of one point - the drawn grand final, the one-point loss to Geelong last week and now the Richmond draw.

Brought to you by AAP AAP © 2021 AAP

0 Comments about this article

Post a comment about this article

Please sign in to leave a comment.
Becoming a member is free and easy, sign up here.

« All sports news